The Patience build.

Pics of the laser line 56D20D85-8A1F-4BA1-A307-429B38CF343C.jpeg2A9D98CC-D0C0-4AC9-BBF4-C90C3753CBDA.jpeg I wonder how much that affects my disc and caliper?

I think the tolerance spec is 2mm so you're probably good. With a straight edge laid across the outside of an attached disc, I usually find it's 29 to 30mm to the outside edge of these flanged alloy rims.

Thanks 5T that makes me feel better although it wouldn’t be the end of the world if I had to redo it now. I think Im getting the hang of it. I had someone ask me the other day if these rims were Borrani rims. I had to look. They are Takasago so I’m wondering if that was the Japanese copy equivalent? They sure look similar.

Yes, it's the Jap copy. The first few years they were actually made by D.I.D. I like those and think they may even be a bit better quality .....

full

What I just did, since I don’t have my disc here, was I used a spare I had that I planned on using to set up dual front disc brakes. I measured from the left side and got about 34.5mm.image.jpg
Interestingly enough the right side reads exactly the same.image.jpg
I think I’m well within the ballpark unless the hub runs off center? I think in a previous post 5T said the front was centered so if that’s the case I’ll put the tire on! Whoohoo

... although it wouldn’t be the end of the world if I had to redo it now.
Pretty quick and easy.... On the short side, loosen each spoke 1/4 turn. Then on the long side, tighten each spoke 1/4 turn. Repeat as required until your 1/16" disappears. Recheck your runout, tweak as required and you're done.

Got the tire on yesterday and picked up some weights today for a static balance. When I installed the tire I had read a thread on here where the member posted that he used dry soap as compared to a wet mixture. Thinking that might not be a bad thing due to a cleanliness issue I thought I’d give it a try. Well it wasn’t bad up until the last 1/4 of tire needed to pop on. I broke out the bottle of Fantastik and she popped right on. After thinking about it I believe that the wet lube is the way to go so I asked the wife if she preferred a dry lube or a wet lube. Man I just barely ducked from that flying magazine!

So in case someone on here is unclear about what I mean by static balancing, you balance your tire with gravity. If you set up some kind of axle(I use a spare and jack stands) lightly rolling the tire on its bearings will let it stop with the heaviest part of the wheel at 6 o’clock. Going to 12 o’clock I add weights until the wheel stops going back to the heavy spot down. 05731B61-5A30-4A34-8E98-40BF14AC0CAC.jpeg C8582566-D2AB-4AEE-A153-B13D2F3C0134.jpeg I use blue tape to hold the weights on before I peel them just to make sure I have the correct amount and position. Then I set the wheel in several different positions to see if it moves.F39FF5FB-1BB0-4536-9542-21012A4CA9E9.jpeg61B7DC46-F88B-4CF5-A2B9-4044114C90C3.jpegE97E0079-93D6-4C41-92C9-0CBAF32D3EA9.jpeg
And I’m all good to go.E97E0079-93D6-4C41-92C9-0CBAF32D3EA9.jpeg

Attachments

• 52BB2CF1-AF0D-44F8-993B-3E4848F45154.jpeg
    52BB2CF1-AF0D-44F8-993B-3E4848F45154.jpeg
    316 KB · Views: 65
Most I balance seem to need 1 to 2 ounces, lol. But, I have occasionally encountered some that need nothing. For spoke wheels, I use the old fashioned style weights that attach to the spokes. But I don't know if you've priced them lately, they're getting really expensive, lol. I save and re-use them, even went through my dealer's bone yard and "liberated" all I could find off the junk bikes. And I even went so far as to make a mold so I could cast my own .....

full

full

full

They work good and don't look too bad .....

full

I figured if I was going to spend a few dollars each on buying some, I might as well get ones that look good, so I bought some chrome ones. I only use them on front wheels where they tend to show more .....

uRltIfb.jpg

ivf7jEE.jpg

Yknow 5T you gave me an idea. I have a box full of bullet fishing weights that are drilled. I would just have to cut a slot in the side. Easy enough as long as I don’t eat the lead.

Well here we go! I’m headed back down tomorrow to get back at it. Got my wheels and replacement fenders all set, tools strapped in and trailer loaded. Probably begin tearing into the engine and reassemble the frame and chassis during any “filler” time.CFE20422-FFA2-49D9-94C7-37659AB39881.jpeg
Im really looking forward to getting back into this project.

Back