The road to Cave Creek and beyond

Mailman

Hardly a Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
A little history, a little mystery and The Hells Angels.
This morning was brisk, 36 degrees, much colder and there would be frost on the rooftops. But the sun was shining and this is the desert and I knew before the day's end it would be 70 degrees, in the way that only the desert can be. I dressed in layers and fired up my bike to warm up, thinking how I had just put the carburetors back together to fix a leak and hoping it wouldn't give me any problems. Off I went to get some breakfast a little fuel and hot coffe for the road.
I started out doing something I don't enjoy much, a long slog on the freeway to get close to where I need to be this morning. The bike, despite my worries performed flawlessly, having no problem keeping up with traffic, my new windshield proved to be a wonderful addition, greatly reducing fatigue. I pulled off the freeway and turned towards my first stop of the day. The National Memorial Cemetery of Arizona, a national veterans cemetery. I'm here to visit the graves of my father and father in law.
image.jpeg

My dad was a great guy. Born on a very rural farm in Missouri and swept into a war when he was a kid, in a far away land he could scarcely imagine. He fought in the Phillipines and later went into Japan with the first occupation troops after Japan's surrender. After the war he could never go back to farming, he became a very accomplished man and worked jobs that took him all over the world. He casts a very long shadow.
image.jpeg

My father in law is buried here too, he served aboard a mine sweeper in the Navy during the Korean War.
If there is anywhere quieter than a veterans cemetery, I've never been there. This is a desert cemetery, keeping with the natural surroundings. Crushed granite instead of grass, Palo Verde trees and saguaro cactus.
image.jpeg

image.jpeg

" The soldier, above all others, pray for peace, for it is the soldier who must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war." General Douglas MacArthur

Leaving the cemetery I head North towards the town of Cave Creek. The town has its roots in the old West and a lot of residents still cling to that heritage.
image.jpeg

Today the town is a favorite day trip location. A little touristy, they really play up the old west theme, lots of art galleries and restaurants. It is a mountain foothills community and there are a LOT of very wealthy residents.
Professional athletes, movie stars and artists all call this place home. Movies have been filmed here and it attracts a LOT of motorcyclists for a couple of reasons. One is the spectacular riding, the other is the aura of the Hells Angels, more on that later.
Nothing says the old West like a dinosaur! Haha!
image.jpeg

I'll be coming back through Cave Creek, but for now I'm just blowing through here on my way to Bartlett Lake.
As soon as you pass through Cave Creek you smack right into the town of Carefree. " Carefree highway, let me slip away on you." Anyone remember that Gordon Lightfoot song? Anyhoo...Carefree is home to some world class golf courses and the famous Boulders resort, because it's surrounded by ...you know....boulders.
They also lay claim to the worlds largest sundial! Woo!
image.jpeg

When I was a kid, people used to drive a long way to see this thing, believe it or not.
But Carefree has one other claim to fame, The New Dick Van Dyke Show! Anyone remember that?
image.jpeg

CBS wanted so badly to get Dick Van Dyke back on TV, that they agreed to film a new TV show in Carefree.
He was living in nearby Cave Creek and didn't want to go back to California. The show was pretty bad and only lasted three years. Just the length of the contract they signed him for.
I'm past the edge of town now and rolling towards the turn off for the lake, but I had to show you this, I bet you don't have any of these back East, cell phone towers disguised as giant saguaro cacti! Haha!
image.jpeg

Finally I arrive at the turn off for the lake. This is going to be fun! This road is pure joy to ride on, it is a non stop roller coaster all the way to the lake and a popular road for motorcycles, but watch your speed, Johnny Law monitors this road closely.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

I finally arrive at the lake, if you look at the shoreline you can see how far down it is, like most Arizona lakes, we have been in an extended drought, the lake is barely half full.
image.jpeg

I turn and head back for Cave Creek and plan to have lunch at my favorite little burger joint. Big Earls Greasy Eats!
image.jpeg

This place has history! Which I will be revealing in another thread, but they also have great burgers and a fun vibe!
Now before I leave Cave Creek, I promised you some Hells Angels. Cave Creek has its own Hells Angels chapter and clubhouse. The infamous Sonny Barger, the unofficial president and most famous member of the Hells Angels lives here and until recently had a bike shop here.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.png

Because of this, the town is sort of a Mecca for hardcore bikers and wannabe's. There are numerous VERY big bars/ restaurants that cater to this crowd. The FBI even raided their clubhouse with a full on SWAT team approach not long ago to seize their computers and search for illegal activity.
As I leave Cave Creek, I have one last stop to make.
Buddy Stubbs Harley Davidson in Cave Creek, has a really spectacular, free motorcycle museum.
Buddy Stubbs is a story all in himself. He's small and wirey, built like a jockey. In his youth he was a professional racer, winning flat track races and winning the Daytona 100 in 1963. He owns the oldest Harley dealership in the state and has a passion for motorcycle history.
image.jpeg

When you first enter the dealership, you see the entrance to the museum. Check it out, Evel Knievel's Triumph that he used to jump The fountain at Cesar's Palace! That's cool!
image.jpeg

When you walk into the museum the first thing you see is a Brough Superior and two Vincent's! This is going to be good.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

image.jpeg
image.jpeg

This is a very impressive private museum. Nearly every British marque is represented and many European. And did I mention it's free admission?!
I took tons of photos, too many to post. But if you would like to see every bike. Here is a link

https://www.buddystubbshd.com/museum

By now it's getting late and I start my old bike for the last time today and head for home. It's been a great day and one of the best riding days I've had with my old 650, 120 miles and I flogged it pretty good and it never missed a beat. Days like today make all the time and effort worthwhile.
Until next time,
Bob

Great story.. always enjoy adventures.. discoveries. Saw your photo reflected in the back side of the XS mirror.
Love'd the greasy spoon... That's one of the many joys of be'n out and about.

Nice write up, Mailman. You should submit this to Rider Magazine or Roadrunner Motorcycle Touring Magazine.

My wife and I are going to Cave Creek next week (to see the big golf tournament). I think we'll have to make a little side trip to that Harley Shop.

Very nice Bob. Makes me miss the wide open spaces out west (que the Dixie Chicks). The wife and I have been talkin' lately 'bout moving back there somewhere. She misses it too. Your pictures just make me miss it that much more. Well done. :)

Thanks Mike!

Jradvantage,
Thanks for the kind words. I just do this for fun. I’m not ready for prime time. Haha!
Yeah, I very much recommend the museum!

Jim,
It’s wonderful now. Not sure how much you would enjoy our summers!

Last edited:
Another great story Bob and as usual awesome pics! Sure wish I was closer to visit that museum. I bet you could spend a whole day in there.

Great to hear you've got your bike so well sorted!
Thanks for posting this, will be back to spend more time looking at all those pics in more detail.

Looking forward to more stories from our roving reporter!

download.jpg

Awesome stuff there MM. Sounds like your Dad was a straight up guy. Call me creepy but there are times I like checking out cemeteries. Reflecting on those who have gone before helps me keep my feet on the ground. They're a good ways away and atm under a ton of snow but I sometimes will make the trip and sit with my folks and just meditate or read a book. Thanks for the reminder.

While playing a little gawlf at the Boulders , I took a side trip to Cave Creek on a Saturday night . It happened to be Sonny Barger's birthday at the Hideaway party. What a town ! What a party ! What a life ! There was a club there that you could get really relaxed, sign away your rights and ride real rodeo stock in an authentic rodeo arena. The stands were packed and the fans were also really relaxed. I saw young guys wearing converse tennis shoes, and motorcycle helmets stay on bulls about 5 seconds. There was also a Rat Rod car show going on , live bands and tons of people. You might want to put Cave Creeek on a Saturday night on your bucket list if you are in the area. Lots of Hells Angles, red neck cowboys, rat rod greasers and babes, and naive gawlfers in polo shirts
all engaged, mixing all the cultures. Wicked Cool.

While playing a little gawlf at the Boulders , I took a side trip to Cave Creek on a Saturday night . It happened to be Sonny Barger's birthday at the Hideaway party. What a town ! What a party ! What a life ! There was a club there that you could get really relaxed, sign away your rights and ride real rodeo stock in an authentic rodeo arena. The stands were packed and the fans were also really relaxed. I saw young guys wearing converse tennis shoes, and motorcycle helmets stay on bulls about 5 seconds. There was also a Rat Rod car show going on , live bands and tons of people. You might want to put Cave Creeek on a Saturday night on your bucket list if you are in the area. Lots of Hells Angles, red neck cowboys, rat rod greasers and babes, and naive gawlfers in polo shirts
all engaged, mixing all the cultures. Wicked Cool.

Yeah it's a pretty crazy little town. Funny you mentioned the hot rods. I can't recall a single time that I've been there that I haven't seen some very cool hot rods rolling through town. I mentioned that the town has very wealthy residents. It shows.

Back