The Sun Has Set On 2020... Good Riddance.

Jim

Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
5:06 PM. Official sunset here in Kansas City. To say it's been hellish year would be understating it. I'm ready for a little "2020 hindsight." As in put this shit show in the rear view mirror. :cautious:
Alas... she ain't givin' up without a fight. There's a big low pushin' up from the south. Just an hour after 2021 rings in, we're forecast for a half inch of ice followed by 5 inches of snow. Gonna be a mess. All is not lost though. I saw a flock of Geese headed due south earlier, so at least the Poles ain't reversed yet. :sneaky:
I'm guessin' they neglected to get their WX brief though...

Here's to better days to come fellas. The cavalry's saddled up... vaccines are on the way. We ain't out of the woods by a long shot, but my guess is that by late spring, early summer we'll be able to at least look off in the distance and see "normal".... whatever our new normal becomes.
Stay safe guys. Wear your mask, get your vaccines... keep your distance and stay the f#ck away from parties.
Here's hopin' we'll meet at some bike rally's soon.
Happy New Year... we'll get there.

Sunset on 2020.png

Well said Jim - well said indeed!

I was awake at around 3:00 AM this morning and watched your year end video which was a welcome diversion from tossing and turning and worrying about how to get past this last f@cking mess of a year.

Anyhow, sometime later in 2021, I gonna blurt out one of my famous: “Dammit, I’m comin’ over!” declarations....

..... and by golly, I will!

Very well put - I suspect many of us have the same thoughts about 2020 and hopes for 2021; I know that I sure do. A new unknown is how the mutation that reportedly is so much more infectious will impact US case numbers, hospitalizations and deaths before the vaccines have taken hold broadly. I also suspect that many of us who are regularly on this site are no longer spring chickens and just by virtue of age, more vulnerable than the younger set, so please, everyone, keep your guard up, whatever that means in your personal situations!

Last year ended with a lot to look forward to for me. I’m done with working out of town and although I haven’t told my employer yet(by virtue of seasoned advice) I’m officially retiring Mar 1. Loading up the 750A project and going south to Tx to finish it with my Dad while he’s still around. Planning on getting some road time on the big bikes with the wife and putting the 2020 dumpster fire behind me. I’m actually looking at ordering all my anticipated parts for the ‘76 XS resto and finally starting to get my motivation up for that as well. It sounds good, just have to make it happen.

My list of New Years resolutions.... Nope.... gave up on the, the only one I ever kept... 1972.. grow a mustache
:offtopic:Off topic I know but in Sept 1972 I was at a Camel Pro Series 1/2 mile at the old Mar Car track in OKC. The next morning while shaving I looked in the mirror and said to myself, ya know I think I`ll grow a mustache. I was 24 then. A lot of Motorcycles, Cars, Trucks, Boats, Airplane`s, Hobbies and Women have came and gone but the mustache is still there. I`m 73 now and the only thing that`s changed is the color of the mustache. Now it`s gray.:( 1972 was a good year for mustache`s.:thumbsup:

Last edited:
:offtopic:Off topic I know but in Sept 1972 I was at a Camel Pro Series 1/2 mile at the old Mar Car track in OKC. The next morning while shaving I looked in the mirror and said to myself, ya know I think I`ll grow a mustache. I was 24 then. A lot of Motorcycles, Cars, Trucks, Boats, Airplane`s, Hobbies and Women have came and gone but the mustache is still there. I`m 73 now and the only thing that`s changed is the color of the mustache. Now it`s gray.:( 1972 was a good year for mustache`s.:thumbsup:
Well since we're goin' off topic....
72... boot camp in San Antonio. At 17, I had a baby face. When I graduated I decided to grow a mustache to hide it. Dint' help :rolleyes:
Been with me ever since...mostly grey now. Can I have my baby face back please? :doh:

2021 is just the day after the last day of 2020. We are all still caught in the grip of a pandemic and it appears to be one step forward and two steps back. We've had it easy here in OZ but the new mutation has emerged in Brisbane and that city is now under lockdown. The highways south to the Coast were jammed to a standstill last night as people fled the affected areas. The vaccine is our hope but, let's be honest, it has not been subjected to comprehensive clinical tests and without them, it retains a certain element of risk. We have not started the vaccination process in this country but the opinion on social media seems to indicate that many Australians are loathe to undertake vaccination until we observe the results overseas. Opportunistic, I know but some of us remember Thalidomide. Our small population and demographics give us a distinct advantage over much of the rest of the world but, unhappily, in 2021, the wolf is still at our door.
In Australia, masks are not compulsory outside of identified infection areas, the vaccine remains a future possibility for the majority, social distancing has become something of a sub-conscious norm but crowds, (albeit somewhat reduced), still gather at the cricket, in pubs and on our streets. I add my wishes to Jim's in hoping for success and relief for countries like your own that have suffered so terribly under CoVid and I pray that we, here, are not exhibiting too much pride before the fall.
PS I, too, am cultivating a squadron leader's moustache in preparation for this year's Gentlemen's Ride in April. Here's to a return to some normalcy by then!

Back