Thinking about downgrading to a VX800.

Classic

rackin' up the miles
Reaction score
I've been thinking about getting a more modern motorcycle and the only bike that suits all of my needs appears to be a Suzuki VX800. High torque, sporty but not uncomfortable, aftermarket support, watercooled, and under 900cc. I would love to hear from people who have seen or ridden one. They seem to go for about $1,400 in my area and I was wondering if it would be worth it. If you guys know of any other bikes that meet my criteria please let me know.

Hey Classic. I don't have the VX800 but I do have an 2002 VZ800 Marauder. I really wasn't too familiar with the VX800 until I googled it after reading your post. The style of bikes is different but I am sure the motors are basically the same. I love the Marauder the engine runs smooth and has decent power. I have 23,000 on it and haven't done a thing to it but change the oil, spark plugs, and air filters. The motor is really an updated Vtwin water cooled version of the XX650. There are some similarities like the twin Mikuni carbs.
The VX looks pretty cool it is certainly a bike I would purchase if I was looking and found one for $1400. In fact I may start looking for one after I sell one of the bikes I already have. I will be keeping the Marauder however.
Georelle

I don't know exactly what you're looking for, but I would say any naked bike will fit the bill well. I ride a Suzuki Bandit 1200S and it's about the best all-around bike I've ever ridden. I don't know how it compares to the vx800. It's bigger than 900cc (obviously) but it's got a shit-ton of torque all over the tach. It's an I4 but it's not peaky like a true sportbike. Comfortable as shit with a lot of storage space and some tie-down hooks. It's sporty enough to do a track day but comfy enough to take on long trips. They make a 600 and a 1200 (and the new ones are a 650 and a 1250). The 600/1200 come in both a fully naked and a bikini-faired version. The "S" after the model name indicates a bikini-fairing. Being naked bikes, they're also cheap. I got mine 7 years old with 5k miles in mint condition for $3k. You can probably get a decent one for $1500 now in the late 90s / early 2000s range. Good luck!

I owned a VX800 for three years. Great bike but I could not keep fork seals in it, a long with all of the owners. Handled great rode smooth. You will like it. Tony C.

VX800 One of my favorite alternatives.

Others are Yamaha XS750/850 Standard, Suzuki GS1100G, Triumph Tident 900, Yamaha Virago 750/920 first generation up to 1982, Honda Nighthawk 750.

I'm feeling my age (back) and like the cruiser riding position. Love my 1100 Shadow ACE, with a backrest I can ride it for hours. Much prefer it to my wife's Shadow 750. But I have a minor fetish for low RPM torque. Chuffa chuffa chuffa.

I would prefer to ride a bike that has a lot of low end torque and doesn't need to rev over 8,000rpm. I like the sound of a 4 cylinder bike but I don't want to own one and have to hear it every day. The sound and the power delivery are what I really care about. I don't want to have to rev the bike to be in the power band. A 650 to 900 twin or tame triple would suit me just fine. I would have picked up an XB9S already but the riding position is too sporty and the maintenance is a bit excessive.

I would prefer to ride a bike that has a lot of low end torque and doesn't need to rev over 8,000rpm. I like the sound of a 4 cylinder bike but I don't want to own one and have to hear it every day. The sound and the power delivery are what I really care about. I don't want to have to rev the bike to be in the power band. A 650 to 900 twin or tame triple would suit me just fine. I would have picked up an XB9S already but the riding position is too sporty and the maintenance is a bit excessive.

Again, don't rule out the nakeds based on the engine configuration. I4s are great at revving high so many times the engineers put in cams that take advantage of that. Other times, they put in cams that are more low-end oriented. Most of the time the naked bikes are more low-end biased instead of top-end like a true sport bike. My Bandit makes 75ft-lbs (at the wheel) at 4000 and holds flat until 7500. It doesn't make nearly as much top-end power as a 1000cc literbike, but has enough low-end grunt to make just about anyone happy on the street. Don't arbitrarily limit your options just because a bike has 4 cylinders instead of 2.

I prefer the sound and the feel of a two cylinder.

I guess the Honda Shadow VT800C is another option but they are going for at least double the price of the Suzuki VX800.

I have a '83 Honda shadow VT750C for sale want 1,295.00 shipping to MN about 550.00 I'd let it go for $995.00 to an XS brother.

Take a test ride on a new Yamaha raider. They also have a new one called the stryker that was announced last week.

New Raiders can be had for 10,900 OTD used for around 8k. 113 CI. Mines running around 96-100HP at rear wheel and 120ft lbs torque. Fast as heck and very comfortable. Best option out there for power cruisers.

If that's out of your price range maybe a warrior or vstar 1300. Bob them out.

I had an Kawasaki 03 Vulcan VN800. 97-05 are all the same I believe. Probably go for a little more than what your looking at, but its worth it. Chain drive, 800cc, V-twin, single carb, etc... The list goes on, but they ride smooth, very reliable, and the styling looks like a harley softail.

The original concept was "watercooled and under 900cc for about $1,400" How did we get to a suggeston to over $10,000 Capt Zoom?

Speaking of $10k to blow (and dreams), if it was me I'd as soon have an xs650 or a 2010 H-D xr1200. I think fans of the stock XS would like its looks a lot. My fave of all time. In between the two doesn't seem to be a net gain of anything that would mean much to me :)

I had an Kawasaki 03 Vulcan VN800. 97-05 are all the same I believe. Probably go for a little more than what your looking at, but its worth it. Chain drive, 800cc, V-twin, single carb, etc... The list goes on, but they ride smooth, very reliable, and the styling looks like a harley softail.

already have an 03 at my disposal. Doesn't suit my needs and i don't like the way it rides to be honest.

I have owned a VX800 for about 2 weeks now and I love it. Pulls like a train. Comfortable.
I also own an XS-1B, and XS2 Racer. I tend to prefer twins.
A Honda Hawk GT might be a good choice as well. I regret getting rid of mine.

Back