Thinking I need an actual welding table.

Downeaster

Everything in XS
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I know there are at least a couple cheap-assed tightwad packrats like me here, so figured this was the place to come for ideas.

I need (want...) something resembling an actual welding table, without breaking the bank. At the current prices of steel, I realize this may be an unreasonable expectation.

Things I'm looking for:

Steel top. Solid would work, perforated (for clamping) would be better. Cast would be the cat's ass. (Been watching Craigslist for derelict table saws with the cast extensions).

3 x 6 feet or so surface area. Big enough to work on, small enough to leave me room to move in the shop. Somewhat smaller is possible.

Heavy (for stability) but moveable (for convenience). Big-assed lockable casters come to mind.

If it's big enough, I'll probably mount a vise to one corner.

Ideas and pictures solicited.

Never used it, but this H F table looks pretty good for the price ($70). Granted it's stamped sheet instead of cast, but it looks pretty versatile.... pretty flimsy too, but you get what you pay for. Suppose it could be beefed up pretty easily.
https://www.harborfreight.com/tool-...s-1/adjustable-steel-welding-table-61369.html

61369_W10.jpg

I know there are at least a couple cheap-assed tightwad packrats like me here, so figured this was the place to come for ideas.
I need (want...) something resembling an actual welding table, without breaking the bank. At the current prices of steel, I realize this may be an unreasonable expectation. - - -
Ideas and pictures solicited.

Hi DE,
your local scrapyard got a steel pile to salvage to save on material cost?
Your table design could be modified to suit whatever they got, eh?

This was a gift to me from my wife. I’ve only a small 10x10 shed so it’s more than enough for me. Klutch makes it. The tooling is cheap, the table is a little less than a 1/4 inch but for the price it’s a usable and decently flat table. I’d recommend it if you’re tight on space

Attachments

• 3191CC5D-A2BB-4E4E-AFAF-6618A4C1100F.jpeg
    3191CC5D-A2BB-4E4E-AFAF-6618A4C1100F.jpeg
    230.7 KB · Views: 107
It’s definitely not build a race-car “Build Pro” quality. But NorthernTool usually has pretty good sales especially with the holidays coming up.

My table isn't very big or made with very heavy plate (maybe 3/16"), but it's all metal and has served me well for many, many years. It's allowed me to make all sorts of little projects ......

htiJkFT.jpg

Being all metal, I was able to attach the welder's ground cable right to one of the legs. I made up a special ground cable with an eye lug on the end and welded a bolt to the table leg .....

EEPt0h4.jpg

This especially simplifies welding small things. No need to attach a big ol' ground cable to them, just clamp them to the table top. The table top has several slots in it for which I've made up sliding fixtures, mostly angles. This allows me to clamp items vertically .....

mgNEMOS.jpg

imBixI7.jpg

Of course it's on wheels so I can roll it around, and it's small enough to fit through the door of my shed so I can store it inside. In there, I use it as a general little work table I can sit at and work on small items. It's important to me that the table is easily moved around and fits through the door because I do all my welding outside (so I don't burn the shed down, lol).

Mines such a mess, I'm almost too embarrassed to show it.... almost. :rolleyes:
It's a RIGID stand, taken from a defunct router table. On top of that is a 30"X32" 2 inch thick piece of Formica countertop. Mica is excellent at heat transfer. On top of that is a 1/8" sheet of aluminum... also good at dissipating heat. There's a tab for grounding clamps and a vise to hold whatever. I also have some 1/4" steel plates if I need the magnetic angle holders. Kinda cheesy I know.... but the total cost is 0 dollars... all scrap. So yeah... works for me. :smoke:

PXL_20210925_234221942.jpg

Back