Thinking outside the box ?

Grewth

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Eventually, I'll need the correct type of instruments for my XS1B project.
Getting a nice working original set is gonna take a truck load of cash and many hours of fiddling about.
So I hit on an alternative solution.
XS1B clocks are all plastic bodies.
Why not 3D print replica bodies then fit the internal parts from later (more robust) instruments ?
Yes, going into 3D printing is going to need the correct AutoCAD programs etc, but it's going to yeild good results

Last edited:
That's a cool app., now all I need is a printer..
I would like to see your finished speedo product.

That's a cool app., now all I need is a printer..
I would like to see your finished speedo product.
That will be some way off, I'm afraid.
At present I don't even have any "scrap" instrument cases to copy from.
Hopefully somewhere along the way I'll pick up a couple of unserviceable items which are intact enough to make measurements from.
I know that the round glass lenses are easy enough to buy (at least for Smiths type speedos)
Then it's a case of mastering TinkerCAD and finding a friend with the appropriate printer.
A guy that I worked with has one, but if I have to deal with him, I'll have to listen to him droning on about R/C model helicopters for several hours

To my thinking, the printed copy won't be indistinguishable from an original, so all you really need is any shell that fits your mounts. But you can modify just about anything to fit your mounts and not have to print anything... What I would do, (besides nothing :)) is if I stumbled on a good price then buy some originals, but in the meantime just clamp on a cheapo electronic speedo of some kind

I believe it’s a plastic bottom piece and a chrome center hoop to the body.

Back