This is a good place to post a far out electrical problem on Cat loader

kshansen

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Just heard the "solution" to a problem a guy on the Heavy Equipment Form I also hang out at was fighting with for a few months.

I'll try to be brief but that never works for me!

Any how the company he works for has like the place I worked has a requirement that main power switches to all machines are turned off when parked over night. These are common on most heavy equipment. Thing is this company wanted to go one step further and they have the mechanic install a small LED indicator so boss riding by can see it at a glance if disconnect switch is left on.

Simple project to install. Run wire from LED to a positive wire near the batter and the other wire from the LED to the switched terminal of the disconnect switch. Disconnect switches are in the negative/ground side of battery wiring.

Hooking up the LEDs was working just fine till he got to the 980G loaders, a matched pair. Wired up LED on one and worked just like the other machines he had done. Now for the last one. Hooked up just like the sister machine and SOB it was bright with key on like it should be but with switch off it was not as bright but still glowed enough to show up in the dark.

He went to the Heavy Equipment Forum and asked for ideas. That forum is much like this one and he got many ideas of things to check and the tread went to 84 posts from Dec. 18 to today.

Not sure yet exactly how he happened to find it but some SOB had at sometime installed a capacitor in the wiring of the machine that he said appears to have been a "prank" to shock the operator when he touched the steering wheel! I suggested that he spread the rumor that bosses were sending the capacitor out to a crime lab to see if they could find finger prints!

This is how that kind of thing is usually done, if I understand what you're saying. Double pole double throw switch. When one pair is open the other is closed with middle being common So when the switch is in the position to break the circuit for the main power, the same switch position closes the circuit for for the LED.
Untitled.png

Back