This may explain no spark

2BallCane

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
IMG_20230331_201252.jpg

A good test would be the smell test. Does something smell burnt?

My experience with electrical parts is if they burnt the smell never goes away. Sometimes you may have to get your nose close.

Not sure what else to do at this point. Last year I re did the wiring, switched to a CDI PMA setup, led lighting, etc. Found out my lighting wasn't drawing enough power when the Munit warned me it was getting too much juice. So I switched the headlight back, that seemed to solve that. Then one day, I went to go for a ride and it died before leaving the driveway and wouldn't start. I saw that I was getting a weak spark, then eventually no spark. Changed coils, same thing.

So after tracing the wiring and finding nothing wrong, I decided to pull the side cover to see if the pickup was damaged and pulled the rotor to inspect the stator and I found this hot mess. I assume that is the problem, but I could be wrong.

Well that is strictly speaking the charging electrical parts so the ignition s another circuit
But if something is burnt on the outside it may well be cooked and it is heard of before
Not always tough

Is there a battery and with more info what parts are there .We can give better opinions

Well that is strictly speaking the charging electrical parts so the ignition s another circuit
But if something is burnt on the outside it may well be cooked and it is heard of before
Not always tough

Is there a battery and with more info what parts are there .We can give better opinions
The battery was toast because I had left the key on for over a month, and so bought a new agm battery yesterday. That's all hooked up, fine and dandy. The question is, can I save my stator? Is it cooked, do I need a new one?

The battery was toast because I had left the key on for over a month, and so bought a new agm battery yesterday. That's all hooked up, fine and dandy. The question is, can I save my stator? Is it cooked, do I need a new one?
Does the Machine start with battery ?

Battery power on coils can fry them also..
The question on the stator needs measurements to spec .Resistance or Charging across the battery

By the looks of it it is cooked and I would assume the regulator is also Fried .
So please do the read-up ..A new stator with the same regulator can cook the next stator also

That appears to be a true CDI & PMA stator: so it charges the battery and powers the ignition itself (without the need of battery voltage). I've no idea of the particular testing specs, but generally each output leg should have perhaps 1 Ohm between each output wire and no continuity to ground. If fried it would need replaced unless an electronics guru can be found to rewind it.

That appears to be a true CDI & PMA stator: so it charges the battery and powers the ignition itself (without the need of battery voltage). I've no idea of the particular testing specs, but generally each output leg should have perhaps 1 Ohm between each output wire and no continuity to ground. If fried it would need replaced unless an electronics guru can be found to rewind it.
I live in southern Maine and rick's motorsport electrics is right over in NH, so maybe he could fix it. But I've contacted the OEM where I bought the kit from and will hopefully hear back soon.

Back