Throttle housing switch

One is red/white the other brown
the '75B & C did not have R/W and Br, but a Br and a Y, anyhow the Br is carry power and connect with everything else Br in the Headlight, the Y which now appear on yours to be R/W connect to R/W in the headlight - this connect through several to R/W that distribute to (Starter solenoid/ignition coils and safety relay)

Ah now I think this is because I have a 74 tx650 switch, it was spare in my box of bits. Question is why habmve the wires been omitted, because the switch broke?

Ah now I think this is because I have a 74 tx650 switch, it was spare in my box of bits. Question is why habmve the wires been omitted, because the switch broke?
It’s not easy to break the switch :) maybe the contacts weren’t working well and the contact needed to be refurbished - I have refurbed several handlebar switched - ultrasonic cleaning and vapor honing with glass beads - 9 out of 10 works afterwards. Use some dielectric grease when reassemble. Maybe he didn’t care for the kill switch and just used the ignition switch to kill the engine - who knows ! The kill switch is not essential in my opinion - I do however like to make it all work as it should. Just rebuild a ‘78E model - had the battery put in yesterday - found one error on he electric - left turn signal don’t work - now back to check all connections / flasher relay and the handlebar switch - among all the electric on these bikes the worst concept is all the freaking wires running through the headlight unit - have to be a better way :)

Niels I had that issue and I put a Dark green where ground was supposed to go. Darn colors were so close I had to go over them again. I wondered why I had a black wire left over.

Niels I had that issue and I put a Dark green where ground was supposed to go. Darn colors were so close I had to go over them again. I wondered why I had a black wire left over.
Very possible that’s the issue. They do look a lot alike after 40+ years. :)

So I'm getting somewhere, I've got everything connected except the yellow wire from the RUN switch (in this case its a red/white wire) which looking at the wiring diagrams needs to connect into a red/white. Only problem I have is that the only red/white in the loom has a bodged red going from it to the red/yellow of the switch unit. My guess is that this was a bodge to bridge out the broken RUN switch.

Attachments

• 20220921_163308.jpg
    20220921_163308.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 51
Skull, that is really useful advice and an excellent reading list at post #12.

Dom, the thing to remember is that although the wiring and diagrams look complex, they are in fact fairly simple once you see how each circuit works. Leo's guide to what happens when you turn the key is a good place to start thinking about the various functions - charging, ignition, lights, etc.

The wiring on my XS was badly mauled by POs and in the end I hauled it out and started again, from scratch, using a simple set up borrowed from the tech section. I think @Adamc did something similar and has re-wired using Motogadget switches. Ripping out and starting again is the drastic way of getting a wiring system you understand. Also, usefully gets rid of a lot of components you don't need such as lights checker or turn signal cancel.

Short of that, I suggest taking notes and drawing diagrams. Get those coloured felt-tips out and draw a scheme for each circuit. For each wire that leaves a switch or component and disappears into the depths of the harness, learn where it reappears and you really will soon start to see what's going on. As has been mentioned, get continuity testing with a multimeter.

Good luck!

Ahhh! Sorted, it was as I'd thought. Someone has bypassed the run switch with a red wire. All king as it should now, the small cutout on the switch housing was a but tight for 6 wires so I had to dremel it a bit, I can't quite get the two halves of the cases to close up so I will have to revisit that. Might be a bit more dremelling required.

Thanks 650skull for all your wiring help.

I also found out a kickback off the kick-start really bloody hurts, teach me not to use my heal

Back