Throttle sleeves, plastic vs original alloy

marp68

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
I saw that replacement throttle sleeve are plastic. Mine is alloy. What's your experience on the plastic one? Would the plastic make the throttle respond quicker and better than the original alloy sleeve? Or does it just wear out soon?

I've worked with both plastic and metal throttle sleeves on other makes of bikes and the only significant difference I'm aware of is the greater risk of binding if the right handlebar area is involved in a crash or drop. The metal sleeve can be bent enough where it could bind on the handlebar, whereas the plastic/nylon will let you continue to ride...

The later 650s had plastic ones and they seem to work/last fine. The original on my '78 is plastic. I keep it lubed with white lithium grease, both where it turns in the housing and on the bar.

White lithium is a light grease and suitable for plastic to plastic or plastic to metal applications. This is all I use it for. It's part of my grease "collection". I must have 4 or 5 different types for different applications.

Thanks everyone. I decided to stick with my metal sleeve, since it's working okej.

Back