Throttle stumble just after idle

Also a little back story, I’m 26 and a 1976 xs650 was my dads first bike which he still has. So this is a big goal for me to get straightened out and rideable. Thanks guys
That is very cool! I figure when I die, the bikes die with me. My daughters weren't interested enough to learn the skills to keep these going and my son-in-laws have no interest in motorcycles. Good for you, and your dad!

That is very cool! I figure when I die, the bikes die with me. My daughters weren't interested enough to learn the skills to keep these going and my son-in-laws have no interest in motorcycles. Good for you, and your dad!
Thank you sir I appreciate that! I too have all daughters, but my youngest is always climbing from the xs over to my supermoto so maybe they’ll be interested. Dads original xs is currently sitting in parts in his garage where it’s been for about 10 years, engines been rebuilt and bored to 700cc and the hard tails been installed. He just doesn’t have the motivation to get it back together so I’m hoping that this bike will be that little boost he needs to see what it could be!

Well then, you can see my zip code and you're welcome to borrow my timing light and a spare battery for testing if I'm close enough to make it feasible. Hell, you can borrow the manometer too

but my youngest is always climbing from the xs over to my supermoto so maybe they’ll be interested.
My two youngest rode with me extensively. One, at age 13, went on a trip of 3500 miles on my Eleven Special. She does roller derby these days, her younger sister has two little boys. It's all good! Riding wit Dad on choppers would be very cool indeed!

Well then, you can see my zip code and you're welcome to borrow my timing light and a spare battery for testing if I'm close enough to make it feasible. Hell, you can borrow the manometer too
I really appreciate the offer man, I used to work in the middlebourne area which looks close to you but that was about 2 hours 45 minutes one way for me lol I went ahead and ordered one, I’ll use it again someday I’m sure. This forum has been nothing but great to me, thank you guys.

My two youngest rode with me extensively. One, at age 13, went on a trip of 3500 miles on my Eleven Special. She does roller derby these days, her younger sister has two little boys. It's all good! Riding wit Dad on choppers would be very cool indeed!
Agreed my man! Wife’s into horses so they’ll probably head that direction but it’s all good.

OK, so for testing you're gonna want a battery to run the timing light and it may progress to using it to temporarily replace the capacitor if that needs eliminated as a problem - nearly anything 12V with 5ah to 14ah rating that will hold a good charge - SLA, AGM, lead-acid, LiFePo type doesn't matter.

My main confusion now is that my timing rotor looks nothing like I’ve seen in my owners manual? Is this something with the xs charge or am I looking at the wrong area?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    347.4 KB · Views: 65
Any number of reason a bench sync can be off a bit. If you can beg borrow or steal a manometer for 10 minutes do it.

My manual shows that I’ll have a mark on my rotor, then a F & T on the “housing” so to speak but I see none of that

Well now, that'll be a small task. There is a timing mark at 2:30 on the rotor.

We need to establish some timing marks on your case. Now you're gonna need to borrow my dial gauge! (kidding)

We need to establish some timing marks on your case. Now you're gonna need to borrow my dial gauge! (kidding)
Is there any videos on YouTube you’re aware to help with this? I know how to find top dead center with the kick start but that’ll be only on cylinder at TDC, so once I roll past that and get to the next TDC, that would be my opposite cylinder correct?

It will. Might need to take a marker and highlight the line a little better. Then you need to establish top-dead-center on left piston and make a corresponding mark on the side cover. I'm hunting a pic...

Slight intermission.....
Roller Derby eh?
My youngest dottir (37) was rolling with the Lafayette bunch before the covid interruption, she might still be active. She's a Professor with a Doctorate teaching Plant Biology at the university.......go figure.
Carry on.......

Back