Timing and running woes...

74TX

XS650 Member
Reaction score
So, it's probably been asked before, but I'm too dense and not too knowledgeable in the mechanix department to look it up or what to look up.
Anyways, my bike gets tuned up, runs real good, starts quick or with one kick. Then, about 200-400 miles later (never the same intervals) it begins to pop on the right cylinder, gets hard to start and fouls the right side plug and the timing goes off. Then it's a 1 cylinder runner. My standard fix is new plugs and timing adjustment. After 5,000 miles of this I'm beginning to feel like Homer Simpson doing the same thing each time hoping for a different result! Oh yeah, also the right pipe is bluing.
I suppose that everyone will perhaps say get the PAMCO or other brand of electronic ignition. Though I'm willing to make the plunge and probably will, but 700$ +install and getting some of the other stuff I'd like to get is a little heavy on my pocket right now. One of my buddies said try different securing screws on the points. Other people just give me blank stares and say, "That's weird". It also bothers me that my 1st TX650A that I bought in 1978 had 8,500 miles on the clock and when I sold it, it had 24,000 miles and it was only timed twice in that 1.5 year period.
I can live with its periodic fuel leaks and with the fact a 47 year old bike used as a day-to-day commuter and weekend road runner is going to have issues arise, but I just don't feel comfy with taking it anywhere anymore.

Background of the TX650A since last year:
2,556 Miles to start and now at 7,034 miles - Sat for 38 years in a heated garage - Rebuilt carbs - New points and condenser - compression on both cylinders is in the 125 zone.

Oh yeah, also the right pipe is bluing.
Fix that first. Right side is lean. Clean carbs. Any mods been done to engine?
Boyer is a good ignition system. Eliminates points and mechanical advance. Not a budget breaker $230 or so.

What kind of points are you using? The market is flooded with cheapo Chinese points now and I'll bet the quality is low. If that's what you're using, I would suggest searching out some original Daiichi replacements .....

2y5NK7a.jpg

How much is the timing off? It shouldn't change much in a few hundred miles.

What kind of points are you using? The market is flooded with cheapo Chinese points now and I'll bet the quality is low. If that's what you're using, I would suggest searching out some original Daiichi replacements .....

2y5NK7a.jpg
The points I had bought came from XS650 Direct. So it's the brand they sell.
I can't remember the Mfr., but the condenser was DAIICHI

Last edited:
How much is the timing off? It shouldn't change much in a few hundred miles.
I haven't been around when the mechanic does the timing, but the best I could tell you is that he often says that, "the right side is way off". I've been with this guy, since 1981 so he ain't a hack, but he hasn't played with XS's since he sold his in 1980. I'll have to go interview him about these points you guys have made. He can't play with it until next week.
Stand-by...

If the timing is off only on the right side off it almost has to be the rubbing block on the points wearing. Ask him if he has to reset the dwell on the the right side points. It could also be the screws that hold the points in place. If the rubbing block is not wearing check the length of the points hold down screws.
I've been with this guy, since 1981 so he ain't a hack
He may not be a "hack" but if he has reset the same set of points every 200ish miles and hasn't figured out why points systems is definitely not his strong suit.

Assuming points are set as per manual instructions and everything is tight and nothing loose .
Can it be an oil leak into the points space ?
Is it dirty in there ?
How about next time clean the plugs and leave the points as is --- test.
Then clean points with some solvent and carborundum paper at points gap.
Inspect the wires to those.
Spark plug caps and wires replaced lately ? Normal maintenance.

Is the plug oil fowling. Pics of the plugs could help.
As requested
These are the plugs removed about 3 weeks ago. The fouled plug was of course a tad wetter when initially removed.

Attachments

• IMG_0364.jpg
    IMG_0364.jpg
    119.8 KB · Views: 138
Last edited:
Assuming points are set as per manual instructions and everything is tight and nothing loose .
Can it be an oil leak into the points space ?
Is it dirty in there ?
How about next time clean the plugs and leave the points as is --- test.
Then clean points with some solvent and carborundum paper at points gap.
Inspect the wires to those.
Spark plug caps and wires replaced lately ? Normal maintenance.

-There was seepage of oil when first resurrected, but that was fixed.
-Clean and green in the points area.
-Tried that already, but didn't work.
-New plug caps when first resurrected, original wires

If the timing is off only on the right side off it almost has to be the rubbing block on the points wearing. Ask him if he has to reset the dwell on the the right side points. It could also be the screws that hold the points in place. If the rubbing block is not wearing check the length of the points hold down screws.

He may not be a "hack" but if he has reset the same set of points every 200ish miles and hasn't figured out why points systems is definitely not his strong suit.
I'll ask him 'bout that and see what he says.

Yeah we haven't played with points here for quite awhile. Last time he played with any of my points was when I resurrected a '71 Bonneville and converted my GS1000 to electronic ignition

Still assuming Points are set as per instruction but put i here anyway
There in one point Left that sits on a half moon so they can be moved in relation to the other
Don t remember how much but they can be out of sync with another and those screws cant be loose.

Is the ignition set with a strobe light so one can see it is Right ?

I would take out the plugs with cap on .hold them against the cylinder head watch how the spark look
If there is difference left / right

I would also replace spark plug wires .It might not be the cause here but they are old and come a rainy day it can cause problems
Not expensive either I put a little copper grease in the plug to ensure connection to the wire.

I would service the coil connections .cleaning.and copper grease .

If above don't work I would shift parts from left to right and right to left.

It starts to look as a Carburetor problem and not ignition at all As GLJ puts it it would be surprising not succeed with a Points installation it is not simple but not that difficult either if one has done it a couple of times just to follow instructions. And check with a strobe light Can only be right or wrong

An overly worn or improperly adjusted cam chain can cause timing to wander allover the place. Also as stated before, have you disassembled the advance unit and cleaned/lubed it? Try scribing a line on your points plate and your points to see if they are actually moving around, a paint dot will work as well.

Slow to reply, but here it is anyways..
Got the Boyer Ignition and had almost no problems installing it and about an hour later we were up and running. Had some issues with the "labyrinth thingy", but added some O-rings and was good to go with new BR7ES plugs. I managed to put on another 1,600 miles before the snow stopped safe riding down here. I never touched/adjusted a thing in that 1,600 miles. Plugs never fouled. Any popping in the right cylinder disappeared. First kick starting. Battery never lost any power.
I didn't enjoy the 375$ I spent, but now we be a happy camper and that can't be bad, eh?

So guys n' gals, it's been 2 weeks short of a year since I had this problem I've outlined above. Let me tells ya, I haven't touched the bike except for oil changes (2x) now it's been 3,800 miles since installation. The timing was still spot on and other than a little hard to start when hot, it starts immediately by kick or starter. Plugs came out of the head sporting the right colour on both sides. Exactly what everyone wants, right? I'm so ecstatic about this I treated the beast to a proper full tune-up and a new chain!
Perhaps now I can concentrate on new paint or some cosmetic improvement of this old survivor

Back