Timing issues with newly built XS2

ndechnik

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi All,

I have a freshly built XS2 motor that I'm trying to get to fire with some timing issues. Here's a list of what I've done/tested and the results so far:

1. TDC mark on rotor lines up properly to mark on stator when the pistons are indeed TDC.
2. when on TDC, the pin on the cam on the advance assembly side is exactly at 12 o'clock
3. both pins on the on the advance rod are on the same side
4. xscharge electronic ignition is on the motor with stock advance

When testing for spark, which I do have very good spark, the firing time for each cylinder is happening long before the rotor reaches the firing mark on the stator, I can see/hear the spark happen when the rotor tdc mark is at about the 10oclock position. Which is so far off I can't adjust the xscharge unit enough.

Other notes on the engine, I did a complete rebuild, have great compression, new cam chain, cam chain adjuster set until the plunger is flush, adjusted the valves to spec etc etc. When I received the bike, it was missing all of the original points/condensor/coils so that's why I immediately went with the electronic ignition.

I've verified over and over everything that I can and am at a complete loss. Is it possible that the xscharge unit is defective? I never ran it without spark plugs connected and grounded or did anything that the directions state could damage the unit.

Any ideas for next steps? Thanks so much!

It does sound like the timing is 180° off. Does the slash mark on the little advance disc line up with the slash mark on the backing plate (yellow arrows)? .....

Correct Advance Install.jpg

Well then, I don't know, lol. It sure does look like you have everything correct. Yes, maybe the ignition unit is bad, althought I don't know what would make it act like that. I'd say contact Mike's and see what they say. Maybe it's an issue they've seen before on that unit. Maybe it is a defect.

Hi All,

I have a freshly built XS2 motor that I'm trying to get to fire with some timing issues. Here's a list of what I've done/tested and the results so far:

1. TDC mark on rotor lines up properly to mark on stator when the pistons are indeed TDC.
2. when on TDC, the pin on the cam on the advance assembly side is exactly at 12 o'clock
3. both pins on the on the advance rod are on the same side
4. xscharge electronic ignition is on the motor with stock advance

When testing for spark, which I do have very good spark, the firing time for each cylinder is happening long before the rotor reaches the firing mark on the stator, I can see/hear the spark happen when the rotor tdc mark is at about the 10oclock position. Which is so far off I can't adjust the xscharge unit enough.

Other notes on the engine, I did a complete rebuild, have great compression, new cam chain, cam chain adjuster set until the plunger is flush, adjusted the valves to spec etc etc. When I received the bike, it was missing all of the original points/condensor/coils so that's why I immediately went with the electronic ignition.

I've verified over and over everything that I can and am at a complete loss. Is it possible that the xscharge unit is defective? I never ran it without spark plugs connected and grounded or did anything that the directions state could damage the unit.

Any ideas for next steps? Thanks so much!
Post a few pics of the end of the crank at TDC; both ends of the cam so we can see the rotor and pickups. Sounds like it’s firing 180 degrees from where it should fire.

Post a few pics of the end of the crank at TDC; both ends of the cam so we can see the rotor and pickups. Sounds like it’s firing 180 degrees from where it should fire.
Sorry took a couple nights to get back in the garage, life gets in the way :) Tried getting it as close to TDC as I could and took the advance off so you could see the locating pin on the cam. The locating pins on the advance rod are 100% on the same side as well.

PXL_20220303_234304410.jpg
PXL_20220303_234319653.jpg

Back