Tiny space lotsa shi**

JOHNDADDY

XS650 Addict
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Tons of tools, lots of stock. limited space, working outside under a lean-to.
I can't be the only one with this problem. over 50+ years I've gathered a lot of tools and all the other stuff that goes along with cars and bikes. specialty tools and just run of the mill extras that you use once every three years. I can 5S a lot and put somethings in storage, but I'm way limited on space. 17"X14" with a door and stoop in the wall side, makes it really short. everywhere else is exposed to wind and the elements. What have you all done to maximize and keep space? I can build but can't weld. The budget needs to go into the bike (limited funds). Hoping some pics might give me a direction, and a lot might get me where I need to be. I do love peg board but it's not an option. Should'a titled this Show me your shop. Thank you for any ideas.

Hi John! What bike? What Project?

Tons of tools, lots of stock. limited space, working outside under a lean-to.
I can't be the only one with this problem. over 50+ years I've gathered a lot of tools and all the other stuff that goes along with cars and bikes. specialty tools and just run of the mill extras that you use once every three years. I can 5S a lot and put somethings in storage, but I'm way limited on space. 17"X14" with a door and stoop in the wall side, makes it really short. everywhere else is exposed to wind and the elements. What have you all done to maximize and keep space? I can build but can't weld. The budget needs to go into the bike (limited funds). Hoping some pics might give me a direction, and a lot might get me where I need to be. I do love peg board but it's not an option. Should'a titled this Show me your shop. Thank you for any ideas.
I have similar. On concrete> (L20xW20xH10+ (rollup door opening is 10', and there are two. )) (Technically the shop is a "car-port") I too have "lean-to" or "eyebrow" 20x8 dirt floor I try to use space in terms of cubic. Built mezzanine shelves about 4' wide, one on each side of shop (these use steel lattice bridgework to span. If I only had a 20' container for the stuff I seldom use, that would be nice set next to shop - As a young man I built in the kitchen in rented houses... beer and whatever, not much need for cooking - lotsa cupboards for tools. In those days a rented house was 40 usbuks per month. My eyebrow space is cluttered too, LPG bottles and forge and stuff, and a Lister under tarps...the compressor is both big and elsewhere, piped underground to shop...so not too noisy.

I'd suggest finding a place to put the stuff you don't use. I ought to do that myself. I think we love tools and treasures and cling to these things in the "Church of Motors"...it tears at the heart to clear away the old treasures, friends, really - even as it makes room to "consecrate" a project in the shop. Doing one project at a time would be nice too, if that was possible - there is always something that needs fixin' and which disrupts the main event project.

Reading Pirsig's Zen and the Art might actually be a good beginning... motorcycle (and shops) require great peace of mind, to paraphrase the author. Peace of Mind is essential. After Project, then rescue icons and place again in sanctuary. The Jews say "shalom bayit" - "peace in the home", the idea being that the "home" here is the home of the project, the shop. Clutter is anathema to peace of mind. I have the same problems, most of us have.

I suppose the Canadian fire rodeo is making smoke for you. That can't be very nice. Let us know what you find along the pathways to project birth.

75 650, bringing her back to life. I love the kitchen story. Back in the day it was in my living room. Kitchen cabinets is a good idea and I just might know where I can get my hands on some. Thanks.

HELP!!! So much to do, so little time. I have one week to set up the deck along with everything else going on this weekend. I know it's gonna happen one way or the other, but any teeny tiny space saver idea you've done would be a great help. I'm basically outdoors, I have a roof and that:s about it. I love peg board!!!! I WOULD IF I COULD BUT I CAN;T. Your best waterproof (snows gonna get in) shop. 1Year build. Wound up and tired. Thanks John Daddy
I have similar. On concrete> (L20xW20xH10+ (rollup door opening is 10', and there are two. )) (Technically the shop is a "car-port") I too have "lean-to" or "eyebrow" 20x8 dirt floor I try to use space in terms of cubic. Built mezzanine shelves about 4' wide, one on each side of shop (these use steel lattice bridgework to span. If I only had a 20' container for the stuff I seldom use, that would be nice set next to shop - As a young man I built in the kitchen in rented houses... beer and whatever, not much need for cooking - lotsa cupboards for tools. In those days a rented house was 40 usbuks per month. My eyebrow space is cluttered too, LPG bottles and forge and stuff, and a Lister under tarps...the compressor is both big and elsewhere, piped underground to shop...so not too noisy.

I'd suggest finding a place to put the stuff you don't use. I ought to do that myself. I think we love tools and treasures and cling to these things in the "Church of Motors"...it tears at the heart to clear away the old treasures, friends, really - even as it makes room to "consecrate" a project in the shop. Doing one project at a time would be nice too, if that was possible - there is always something that needs fixin' and which disrupts the main event project.

Reading Pirsig's Zen and the Art might actually be a good beginning... motorcycle (and shops) require great peace of mind, to paraphrase the author. Peace of Mind is essential. After Project, then rescue icons and place again in sanctuary. The Jews say "shalom bayit" - "peace in the home", the idea being that the "home" here is the home of the project, the shop. Clutter is anathema to peace of mind. I have the same problems, most of us have.

I suppose the Canadian fire rodeo is making smoke for you. That can't be very nice. Let us know what you find along the pathways to project birth.
a__shole me, sorry for no reply, life and the sun is goin fast. We sound like the same person 40yrs ago ( the bike in the kitchen). And Ye Ha send"er as far as you can bounce. (Cause bumbles bounce don't cha know) just not as well as we did in our twenty's. Workin on my space the build I'll make a thread. Happy 4th

I only have a very small workshop, to make room, I discarded all my toolboxes and hung the tools overhead. Works a lot better for me: instead of traipsing over to the other side of the shed to get to the toolbox, I simply reach up.

Back