Tire Recommendations? Daily Functionality, Vintage Look. 83 Heritage Special

MarieKaramazov

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Hihi. I need some new tires for my newly acquired 83 Heritage special and I'm looking for some recommendations--whether type or vendor.
Manual specified sizes:
Front: 3.50s 19-4PR (not seeing a lot in this size so far...
Rear: 130/90-16 67s
Specifies tube type tire next to both.

Spoked wheels.
I'm hoping for something that has the simple, clean vintage look, but that also has enough function to be used daily. I'll be riding in the city--street, highway, occasional canyons, longer trips when I can take them. I was going to say all seasons, as soon I won't have a car, but I live in LA so, "seasons" here isn't much. Rain friendly haha. Worth noting that a lot of the streets where I ride are...not well maintained--cracks, potholes, etc.
Right now the bike has the stock Cheng Shin tires on the front, which have a really nice look to them--but they're 40 years old. I need the tires sooner than expected so these don't have to be all end all choice, but if I can get there the first time, superb--especially since I'll be sizing a tight rear fender to it. [Once done, the bike is going to be a bobber meets brat setup, taking a bit from the 40s-50s. The rear part of the build is going to have a rigid, tight fender on the back tire (struts on swingarm setup hopefully), with low profile detachable rack, solo seat]

Did some poking around for threads on tires on here already and found these recommendations, though it seems like some don't fit my bike as they're not tubed, but if you know of ones that fit and are similar, let me know :) First time having to buy tires (and first build/rebuild) as I was able to get away with what was on my last bike! So if there's things I should look out for when searching, let me know.

Spitfire S11(Don't think these fit mine)
Firestone Deluxe Champion (tubed)
Avon Speedmaster, Avon super venom

Thoughts? additions? hell nos?

Found this vendor
https://www.americanmototire.com
As well as usual suspects: revzilla, jp...

Your list is all over the place.
Spitfire S11 fits stock wheels. I've been through a lot of them. They're good. They run a little on the large side. (they fill up the fenders)

I've been looking at the Avon Speedmaster. I just saw one on a Norton. The rider wasn't having any trouble keeping up. It looks like an OE tire from 50 years ago. Avon is a good name. Put the Avon Safety Mileage 5.00-16 on the back. That will give you the vintage look you want.
1694901-avon-sm-mark-ii-500-16-69s-rear-motorcycle-974551665__99263.1590097581.500.750.jpg
1657601-avon-speedmaster-rib-350-19-57s-front-motorcycle-974576172__20740.1590097695.jpg

Last edited:
Im good with shinkos have installed and ridden on at least 10 sets. 100.90.19 front 130.90.16 rear. On line bout $120 the pair. Be sure you have someone local that will install tires you bought online. Tubes and rim strips will add another $60

I'll 2nd Gary's recommendation for the Shinko, at least the rear. I've been using the 712's and while the rear is fine, I'm not crazy about the matching front. I don't know, maybe I just got a bad one, but it gives me a minor head shake and feels very "vague" through about the 30 to 40 MPH range. You won't find Cheng Shin street bike tires anymore, they stopped making them several years ago. Not a great loss as far as the rears go, I never found one that lasted very long, but I do miss one of their fronts, the C906 Hi-Max .....

full

This was a wonderful front tire. It worked well with any brand or tread pattern I ever paired it with. Like many of their tires, the tread pattern was a copy of some other manufacturer's tire, in this case a Metzler. So now the search was on for another new "favorite" front tire, and I think I've found it. Vee Rubber is also making a copy of this and isn't too expensive .....

full

https://www.midwesttraction.com/store/b54/vee-rubber/c7/street/

but I do miss one of their fronts, the C906 Hi-Max .....

full

This was a wonderful front tire. It worked well with any brand or tread pattern I ever paired it with.

Yes, tires sure are subjective. :poke: I pulled that one off my bike before it wore out. We probably had this conversation at one time or another. I had it on a heavier bike.

So, what is it you want? Modern rubber or vintage looking rubber? It's not like you can have your cake and eat it too.
In vintage tires, 5.00-16 will fit. The tire will be an inch or so taller than the 130 and slightly narrower. You'll have fewer sources for vintage tires as well. I've been buying my tires from Rocky Mountain ATV, but I don't think they have all the vintage options.

Last edited:
Yes Jet, I think we did talk about this. All the bikes I used this tire on were under 500 lbs. and it has worked well on them.

Hihi. I need some new tires for my newly acquired 83 Heritage special and I'm looking for some recommendations--whether type or vendor.
Manual specified sizes:
Front: 3.50s 19-4PR (not seeing a lot in this size so far...
Rear: 130/90-16 67s
Specifies tube type tire next to both.
Spoked wheels.
I'm hoping for something that has the simple, clean vintage look, but that also has enough function to be used daily. I'll be riding in the city--street, highway, occasional canyons, longer trips when I can take them. I was going to say all seasons, as soon I won't have a car, but I live in LA so, "seasons" here isn't much. Rain friendly haha. Worth noting that a lot of the streets where I ride are...not well maintained--cracks, potholes, etc.
Right now the bike has the stock Cheng Shin tires on the front, which have a really nice look to them--but they're 40 years old. I need the tires sooner than expected so these don't have to be all end all choice, but if I can get there the first time, superb--especially since I'll be sizing a tight rear fender to it. [Once done, the bike is going to be a bobber meets brat setup, taking a bit from the 40s-50s. The rear part of the build is going to have a rigid, tight fender on the back tire (struts on swingarm setup hopefully), with low profile detachable rack, solo seat]
Did some poking around for threads on tires on here already and found these recommendations, though it seems like some don't fit my bike as they're not tubed, but if you know of ones that fit and are similar, let me know :) First time having to buy tires (and first build/rebuild) as I was able to get away with what was on my last bike! So if there's things I should look out for when searching, let me know.
Thoughts? additions? hell nos?
Found this vendor
https://www.americanmototire.com
As well as usual suspects: revzilla, jp...

Hi Marie,
totally agreed, Do NOT ride on 40 year old tires. Even if they stay inflated they'll be super-hard and have next to no grip.
My '84 XS650 Special came with 7-spoke cast wheels and it's been running on tubeless tires ever since it's factory-installed Yokohama tires wore out.
OTOH Yamaha XS650's alternative aluminum-rim & steel-rim wire-spoked wheels must have tubed tires because their rims leak air
through the rim/tire interfaces and through the rim's spoke holes.
Front wheel swaps are easy..
Every design of post'76 front wheel (Steel rim wire spoked, both types of aluminum rim wire spoked and 7-spoke cast aluminum) will fit your bike.
Rear wheel swaps, not so much.
Any style of XS650 rear wheel will interchange with any other,
Drum/Disk swaps also need swingarm & brake pedal changes.
And like 5twins sez running a tube inside a tubeless tire heats it up more and thus limits it's safe maximum speed. For an H-rated tire that's about 130 mph so no worries, eh?

Last edited:
Yes, you'll need tubes, and it may be difficult to find tube type tires, but no worries. Pretty much all the tubeless type can have tubes installed in them.

My '78 XS has the cast aluminum rims. May I assume it's OK to run tubeless tires on 'em?

Mike
The early cast wheels may or may not be suitable for tubeless tires. One of the spokes will be stamped SUITABLE FOR TUBELESS TIRES. Concerning the XS650, if it isn’t there, the wheel is designed for tube type tires.

My '78 XS has the cast aluminum rims. May I assume it's OK to run tubeless tires on 'em?

Mike
Oops see Marty's post. The old wheels lack safety beads to keep the tire "in place" in the event of full deflation.

Last edited:
They aren't designed for tubeless none of the XS650 wheels were.
It's a long story, you could drill, machine the valve stem hole to accept a tubeless valve stem, but all the old wheels lack safety beads. to keep the tire "in place" in the event of full deflation.
Gary, I just checked. My '83 has a rear wheel off of an '81 and front off of an '80. Both XS650 wheels (probably). Both are marked SUITABLE FOR TUBELESS TIRES.

Im good with shinkos have installed and ridden on at least 10 sets. 100.90.19 front 130.90.16 rear. On line bout $120 the pair. Be sure you have someone local that will install tires you bought online. Tubes and rim strips will add another $60
@5twins
Aha, yes, I've heard of those too. Going to look at some. Good to know they ride well. Which Shinko are you using Gary?
So, what is it you want? Modern rubber or vintage looking rubber?
Vintage looking (which in my head translates to: tread isn't overstated or aggressive, sidewall is clean/smooth, often has skinnier profile), but hoping for modern functionality. Looking back, Sptifire 11 doesn't really fall into that category of look, yes. That list was just some of the recs I saw so far; wasn't sure if the more vintage looking ones were lacking in function.

Going to compare Avon, deluxe, and Shinko tonight and see.

Wise to stick to same brand for front and rear?

Wise to stick to same brand for front and rear?

Maybe. If you do a Google search, you'll find a good bit on the vintage tires. My research leads me to the Avon Speedmaster/Safety Mileage combo. YMMV. There are several here on this forum running the Firestones and Shinkos. Run them down for feedback.

Which Shinkos have you been using, Gary?

Alright. So manual says 3.5 19-4pr for the front, but the tire that's on the front is 3.25 19 54p... I've asked around and researched and it seems like there's no way to know for sure if I have the stock wheels on there. Searched the numbers printed on the rims but they aren't matching anything coming up on the internet--or im missing somethign. They look stock, but that's all it seems I can go by...judging by age of the front tire, 40 years, and bike is 37 years old, it was either stock or put on shortly after. PO says he thinks they're stock, def the front. Rear has manual recommended size on now anyway.
In any event, my question is whether you guys have input on whether I should go for 3.5 as the manual says--thus assuming the wheel is stock--or go with 3.25 which is on there, knowing maybe PO put on something different from stock...? Or is the difference negligible? Looks like 3.5 and 3.25 both take 2.5 rim which I can decipher from printing on rim.. Kinda seems like a call I just have to make but figured I'd throw it out in case im missing something.
Also...load index number for tire: that # is per tire here, yes? Just want to make sure

I think I'm going with Avon by the way. Speedmaster up front, safety mileage in the back.
I love the look of the Firestone deluxe champion that Coker does, but I'm reading mixed reviews on performance and they're really tilting towards negative at the end of day. Spotty performance in grooves and wet areas, tread coming off...eek.
Shinko 240s look great and I've seen mostly good feedback but I'm a sucker for the look of that Avon front wheel and have heard only good things about the Avon performance so far, excepting that obviously they're not sport or crazy high performance tires etc. I may try the Shinko 240 next round.

Attachments

• Eqs3zQI%QBiMzOZyqD0gVw.jpg
    Eqs3zQI%QBiMzOZyqD0gVw.jpg
    128.1 KB · Views: 231
  • fullsizeoutput_5c2.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_5c2.jpeg
    194.9 KB · Views: 245
I have been using Michelin Pilot Activ tires on my Standards - they wear well, handle great and don't cost the earth.

Perhaps I am a bit of heathen, but I have never understood the whole notion of "vintage" tires and what the tire looks like. To me, a tire is a safety item and a core component of the bike's handling, braking and load carrying capacity. I really don't care what they look like.... :yikes: ....only how they work.

Pete

Last edited:
I would recommend Kenda challenger tires. They are not pricey like the Dunlops I had before, but just as good for traction and Longevity.

Back