Tires

A 2x4 on each side will distribute the pressure better to break the bead.
Yes, a 2X4 spreads the load, but drastically increases the amount of bead area you're trying to dislodge in one go. A C-clamp will concentrate that force in one localized point on the bead... much easier to break that point loose than 6, 8 or 10" all at once.

Now, what could be done to that to dual purpose it for other uses?
Well, when I built the base for my HF tire changer, I sized it so this tire/wheel holder would drop right in ......

Wheel Holder5.jpg

Tire Table.jpg

Changer Mounted2.JPG

Then when not being used to hold the changer, it could be used as a nice little work table, once I filled in the giant hole in the center, lol .....

WorkTableMod5.jpg

WorkTableMod3.jpg

WorkTableMod2.jpg

WorkTableMod.jpg

Regarding tightening the tube valve stem nut, I leave mine finger tight to loose on my DR650 as was advised by my dual sport riding buddies, so the valve stem doesn't get pinched if the tube moves especially at lower air pressures off road. When we have had flats in the bush, we've used another bike's side stand to break the bead. Primitive but effective. Those nuts are only finger tight to loose in my my TX650A wheels, and that has been fine.

Regarding tightening the tube valve stem nut, I leave mine finger tight to loose on my DR650 as was advised by my dual sport riding buddies, so the valve stem doesn't get pinched if the tube moves especially at lower air pressures off road. When we have had flats in the bush, we've used another bike's side stand to break the bead. Primitive but effective. Those nuts are only finger tight to loose in my my TX650A wheels, and that has been fine.
The sidestand trick sounds interesting, that is if you have the spare bike available. Just for interests sake, I’ll try taking my digital scale out to the garage and see how much force I can generate from the Shadow’s side stand.

How often do you get flats riding off-road?

How often do you get flats riding off-road?

It seems once a year perhaps or every 2 years. It depends on luck it seems. The more guys on an outing, the higher the odds. I, touch wood, have not had one, but two or three of my riding buddies have when I've been there. For the last year or so I've always taken levers, spare tube, air compressor, patch kit, soap, valve removal tool etc. Here on Vancouver Island if you're riding on a quad or jeep accessible trail there are almost always fire remnants and empty beer cans. People burn pallets so there are always nails around. You have to avoid these areas but sometimes just unlucky and you pick one up.
The kickstand thing is a two person deal for sure which can result in pain or another bike on the ground if care is not taken.

Shinko 777 white walls came in.
I used the Shinko WW’s on my Ultra and I’m very pleased however I did drip some brake fluid on the back one while bleeding the brakes and it left a stain. I wiped it right off and was surprised it affected the white as quickly as it did but the rear tire is 90% covered by bags and fender so it’s not a big deal.

Front came off not to difficult and went on pretty easy.
C clamp to pop the bead.
I cleaned up the inside of the rim with all the rubber that stuck to the inside. Forgot to take a before pic.

I warmed up the front and wire tied it but just wire ties was not easy enough so the last 1/4 I used the spoons.
But wire ties seemed to help cause I did not have to do one side at a time and the opposite side all stayed in the drop center
Bead set right away.

IMG_8965.jpg

IMG_8960.jpg

IMG_8961.jpg

:confused: sort of looked like something could go sideways and hit that dude right in the face. Yes, I know it didn't, but I guess I just have my safety hat on at the moment :rolleyes:
Maybe, but I don't think so. The rim itself stops it from going at him, and it's bolted to whatever he used to attach it to the receiver... so I think it's safe. :umm:
I've got a couple extra scissor jacks I could never bring myself to toss, so I think I'm gonna give this a go. A little different though, I'm gonna weld up a proper frame for it all to set on. I'll post some pics when I've made it.

Maybe, but I don't think so. The rim itself stops it from going at him, and it's bolted to whatever he used to attach it to the receiver... so I think it's safe. :umm:
I've got a couple extra scissor jacks I could never bring myself to toss, so I think I'm gonna give this a go. A little different though, I'm gonna weld up a proper frame for it all to set on. I'll post some pics when I've made it.
The jack the guy is using is a levelling jack for a trailer or RV. It has a much higher lift than a regular auto scissor jack. I used these at our cottage to support the floor joists before I had the foundation repaired. I know I have at least one spare so I’ll bring it home in the springtime. I’m going to make one too and will weld a 2” square tube on the top that will fit into my truck’s hitch.

Back