To Split, or Not To Split (was broken sump bolt)

Where's the release valve at? The spark plug end or the gauge?

Do a wet test and see what you get. Does sound promising.

Nice to have a spare there. Your other engine was pretty high in mileage ? I don't know what "high mileage" actually is by number on these yet.
It would be very tempting to me to try the spare though.

Nice to have a spare there. Your other engine was pretty high in mileage ? I don't know what "high mileage" actually is by number on these yet.
It would be very tempting to me to try the spare though.
image.jpg

I think 57,000 is high on a 650. I’ve cared for it. Bought it new, $2019 out the door!
My XS1100 has about 100,000 on it.

Jim,
Why did you ask about the relief valve? I don’t understand the relevance of the question. I can’t be the only one.
What I meant to ask about is the check valve location. Some of the cheapies have it at the gauge. What that does is effectively make the hose part of the combustion chamber.... which drastically reduces the compression ratio. If the check valve is at the plug fitting, your 90psi is probably pretty accurate. If it's at the gauge, your actual compression is prolly 20-40psi higher because the length of hose is adding volume to the combustion chamber.

Hook up a battery to the starter motor for your compression check--negative terminal anywhere on the engine, positive to the starter motor terminal. Affirmative, the top screws have to come out. The numbers indicate installation torque sequence, low to high. To split the cases, go high to low.

I believe I’ll do my best to get the bike back together before I make a bigger mess. I will at least try to get most of the parts back on it, rather than spreading around more crap to trip on.
I hope to get my bottom case fixed and back together before the week is out as well.

OK. My compression tester check valve is at the bottom of the hose where it screws into the head. I was confused (easily). The relief valve is on the gauge.

I’ll have to install a starter before I can do that test. Everything has to come off of the other engine. I’d sure hate to have to pay someone to do this job!

Time to straighten up and call it a day.

View attachment 162112
Love that pic, looks like a great party setting somehow, just needs a grill and beer! Gathering must be 10 or fewer people of course

Also...did you redo your speedometer dial? I don't know how one could have that mileage but show so little fading. When mine had that mileage it was almost pure white

Last edited:
Love that pic, looks like a great party setting somehow, just needs a grill and beer! Gathering must be 10 or fewer people of course

Also...did you redo your speedometer dial? I don't know how one could have that mileage but show so little fading. When mine had that mileage it was almost pure white
I’ve been living in Mississippi only a year. I don’t have many motorcycle friends here yet. So, it’s a party of one. It’s OK, I like my company.

My clocks are unrestored original. I bought the bike new in Florida. I never let it sit in the sun. If I didn’t cover the whole bike, I at least always covered the clocks. My seat only just ripped. A new cover is on the way from Dime City.

Fortunately, for this project, my vacation plans were canceled due to COVID-19. I strained my back in the gym a couple of weeks ago. Wrestling the two lumps is aggravating it. I’m currently procrastinating. Next up is cleaning up the mess, so I can make another one. Right after one more cup of coffee.

Back