Tool Kit

Tool%20Bag_zpsbgiawdtw.jpg

Well the number of things or to be very precise the number tools you need to take on your tour completely depends on the bike which you are going to take with you for a ride. The most important part is how much space the bike have to keep those tools.

Last edited:
Hi Tim,
well, I got a sidecar so I can haul just about my complete toolkit but what I've found is the tool you'll most likely need is the one you didn't pack.
My bike's last long trailer ride home was because I didn't pack a can of contact cleaner.

That's good then. If you have a sidecar you can take anything with you. I thought you only have the bike and hence you are asking for the important tools to be taken.

Hi Tim,
it wasn't me that was asking. If you check, this string started back in 2009 and a comment much like mine was first made by Big George back in 2010.
My take on it was that no matter how much stuff you pack Murphy's Law clearly states that the tool you'll need is the one you didn't bring.

A newer member just asked Jim and I what we carry - and so for the benefit of all, I carry the stock toolkit (Lucille came with one - about the only amenity she had other than horrible problems) plus:
  • a decent adjustable wrench;
  • a pair of needle nosed pliers;
  • a set of Allen keys (I like the extra long ball-end type);
  • some extra fuses and electrical tape, plus;
  • some copper 100 MPH wire a little package of duct tape just in case something falls off (because SOME people think that these bikes vibrate...a bit).
....and when my bike is being transported in a trailer / van (thank-you Lakeview and Big Blue!!) , I would likely include a clutch cable which is, by far, the one most likely to break and also a front & rear inner tube. If I had a non-endless chain, I would bring along a couple of appropriately sized master links too.

One thought - the wrenches and pliers in the stock Yamaha tool kit are not wonderful.

If I were going on a really long trip, I would likely replace the whole toolkit with much higher quality tools and add a feeler gauge set to replace the wrench with the three little feeler gauge leaves on it. Also, if your adjustable is good enough, you could likely leave at least a couple of the wrenches out entirely as they are redundant.

Pete

Last edited:
Chuck, I was not offering a tool kit for $20, shipped. I was offering an original tappet wrench only. Like the one in the MikesXS link, but original and one-sided only. PM me if interested.

Back