Tools - JIS screwdrivers (Pete’s annual rant)

FYI....I replaced a ton of the HW on mine with SS and/or hex head and I love Bolt Depot (https://www.boltdepot.com/). Super easy to navigate, can buy single pieces, feel like the prices are reasonable with price breaks for qty, and the shipping isn't bad (at least here....$4.95 economy) so if you buy a few things it can be worth your while.

McMaster is great, but the shipping generally runs at least $10.
1+ on Bolt Depot. I'll add to that... just about every order I ever sent 'em shipped the same or next day.

Thanks for the link to the Bolt Depot. I looked and a bag of 100 are a mere $6.50. I may just go ahead and pull the trigger. If I do, I will let y'all now and you can send me a SASE and I will send you a pair.

Mike

Well folks, it has been quite a while since my last harangue about proper screwing….errrr, I mean using the proper screwdriver.

Sooooo, this years edition of Pete’s annual tool earbashing will be delivered by one of the UKs greatest exports since Lucas electrical systems, Macintosh's toffee and Fisherman’s Friends cough drops - YouTuber Biker Stuff girly mechanic and tee-shirt model…..Dana!

Last edited:
Well folks, it has been quite a while since my last harangue about proper screwing….errrr, I mean using the proper screwdriver.

Sooooo, this years edition of Pete’s annual tool earbashing will be delivered by one of the UKs greatest exports since Guinness, Macintosh's toffee and Fisherman’s Friends cough drops - YouTuber Biker Stuff girly mechanic and tee shirt model…..Dana!

''UK's greatest exports since Guinness''
Careful There Pete. Guinness is made in Eire (Southern Ireland) which is not part of the UK.
You might upset some folks over there, as I did once to a customer in Cork when I said 'Back on the Mainland'
He replied with a very sternly ''This is the mainland Adam!''
See what I mean.

Careful There Pete. Guinness is made in Eire (Southern Ireland) which is not part of the UK.
You might upset some folks over there, as I did once to a customer in Cork when I said 'Back on the Mainland'
See what I mean.
Ooooohhhh…..yesssss.

OK, post amended and I hope not to offend anyone on either side of the Irish Sea.

Thanks for the heads-up Adam.

Pete

Last edited:
See what I mean.
If you think that is bad try suggesting to a Manxman that they are part of the UK!

Careful There Pete. Guinness is made in Eire
Guinness is indeed made in Eire and the Irish are quite rightly proud to have a product recognised and loved all over the World. But I think most of the Guinness we drink in the UK is brewed here under licence.

No idea where NA Guinness is produced but I enjoyed a few really satisfying pints in an Irish pub in New York. Niall's on W 52nd St IIRC.

I was mesmerized by the clear and distinct description of the differences in tit's, er tips

All seriousness aside, her Biker Stuff channel is really quite good. She knows bikes and digs right-in on some typical repair jobs and performs them very well….while also being scenic, literate and good humoured. You should see her video on working with spoked wheels and the related...errrr, ummmm,…components……;)

Dana’s video series on the restoration of a nice little Kawasaki 90cc dirt bike is particularly interesting as she wears only an open-sided pair of bib-overalls and she does a good deal of bending and stretching.

She clearly knows that the vast majority of her audience is male and she plays to that in a ladylike but very appealing fashion.

Last edited:
Ooooohhhh…..yesssss.

OK, post amended and I hope not to offend anyone on either side of the Irish Sea.

Thanks for the heads-up Adam.

Pete
Apart from that, UK Guinness is generally rubbish compared to the stuff in Ireland. It really rewards being kept well, and most cellarmen don't do it.

Apart from that, UK Guinness is generally rubbish compared to the stuff in Ireland. It really rewards being kept well, and most cellarmen don't do it.
Eire use more nitrogen gas in their pump Guinness for the creamy head and smooth taste. Most UK pubs send it through their normal gas systems. That’s the main difference. Barrel turnover sales and temperature are also significant to quality. I’m an ex-publican. :devil:🍺
What no Guinness imogie thing:cool:

Untitled.png

Eire use more nitrogen gas in their pump Guinness for the creamy head and smooth taste. Most UK pubs send it through their normal gas systems. That’s the main difference. Barrel turnover sales and temperature are also significant to quality. I’m an ex-publican. :devil:🍺
There was a pub in Edinburgh known as the Gravediggers. The cellarman in there was superb at his job. The Guinness was excellent, but what really brought it home to me was the new taste to old beers I'd been drinking for years.
A Guinness guy told me that the black stuff can take two temperature changes in shipping and storage but any more than that and it goes downhill fast, allied with bad housekeeping and it's bloody awful.
I've had enough bad pints of it to be dead wary of Guinness in any pub where it's not a steady rapid seller, and trust that it's been handled properly, too.

There was a pub in Edinburgh known as the Gravediggers. The cellarman in there was superb at his job. The Guinness was excellent, but what really brought it home to me was the new taste to old beers I'd been drinking for years.
A Guinness guy told me that the black stuff can take two temperature changes in shipping and storage but any more than that and it goes downhill fast, allied with bad housekeeping and it's bloody awful.
I've had enough bad pints of it to be dead wary of Guinness in any pub where it's not a steady rapid seller, and trust that it's been handled properly, too.
Over here, it’s usually charged with CO2. 🤢

Back