Top end rebuild question--particularly cam rockers

Yamadogrick

XS650 Member
Reaction score
After finishing the top end rebuild, all by the book, I've come across a problem. After setting valve lash on both cylinders, TDC on the compression strokes, only one set of points is lining up with the Firing mark; the RH cylinder is out of whack and would be firing waay off the mark, not even close. Since i believe this engine was pulled apart before by some PO, is it possible that the rockers were removed and put back together wrong on one side? The cam, chain etc are all correctly aligned, and I really am not looking froward to pulling the engine back out of the frame again. Thanks for any ideas for rectifying this issue!

Timing for each set of points is adjusted individually. I set the right side first, then set the left side by adjusting the “sub mounting plate” for the left side points. Then check it all again. Not too difficult once you’ve done it a couple of times.

It is possible to have the advance rod pins backward (very easy to do)this will reverse which points fire which cylinder, leading to lots of head scratching.
Gary you hit it on the head. I reset the valves starting with the RH cylinder, then rechecked my points settings, found both to be almost perfect but 180 degrees
off. Switched the point wires over and she started on second kick. Damn, head scratcher is correct! That is what was wrong sir. Many thanks.
Exactly. It sure helps to read that book.
Yep, fond out that gggGary was correct, the dreaded PO put the advance rod pins in backwards. Wondered why the points set was reveresed when I got this derelict machine. Now I know.

Back