Total loss Li-ion project

I just was talking to a buddy I mentioned the total loss conversation we are having. He gave me the ultimate total loss story. Back in the 70's he said there was club that wanted to start up here I the quad cities from Chicago. He was down at the local East village bar and there was a pan head with a welded on carrier over the rear fender with a truck battery, he said he could make it to and from Chicago with it fully charged.

Retired I agree if the stock system is working fine, to a point. I put a system on my old 73 that I sold to my brother in law and he notice the difference right away. The bike just ran better. We had to set the idle down. (this is normal with these) Hotter more reliable spark is what helps.

Also total loss for racing, bad idea. Many have come to me looking for something to replace their battery. Batteries with no charging system start to run down right away. Soon you have weak spark. Plus change in the temp effect the efficiency. How many batteries seen ok until the temp drops. I have replaced many a battery as soon as the temp. drops here in Iowa.

Retired you may have mentioned this before but why go with timing at the cam? When there is a more reliable (my opinion) and easier set up (fact) with the timing at the crank... I find top dead center and it is done... 5 min job, ok maybe 10 min. How long does it take to set up your system?

As always good hearing from you. Gary[/QUOTE]
[/SIZE]
The conversation of ignition timing from crankshaft or camshaft is an old one on this site. Lets just say they both work very well, and neither is superior to the other. A Pamco is very easy to set up, taking only 5 minutes and then never touch it again. I have very good combustion; regularly get 57 or 58 mpg gas consumption on long trips.
I get a hot spark using an accel ignition coil:
Hot Spark.JPG

Last edited:
Retired I agree if the stock system is working fine, to a point. I put a system on my old 73 that I sold to my brother in law and he notice the difference right away. The bike just ran better. We had to set the idle down. (this is normal with these) Hotter more reliable spark is what helps.

Also total loss for racing, bad idea. Many have come to me looking for something to replace their battery. Batteries with no charging system start to run down right away. Soon you have weak spark. Plus change in the temp effect the efficiency. How many batteries seen ok until the temp drops. I have replaced many a battery as soon as the temp. drops here in Iowa.

Retired you may have mentioned this before but why go with timing at the cam? When there is a more reliable (my opinion) and easier set up (fact) with the timing at the crank... I find top dead center and it is done... 5 min job, ok maybe 10 min. How long does it take to set up your system?

As always good hearing from you. Gary
[/SIZE]
The conversation of ignition timing from crankshaft or camshaft is an old one on this site. Lets just say they both work very well, and neither is superior to the other. A Pamco is very easy to set up, taking only 5 minutes and then never touch it again. I have very good combustion; regularly get 57 or 58 mpg gas consumption on long trips.
I get a hot spark using an accel ignition coil:
View attachment 92869[/QUOTE]
Good enough, have a Happy New Year !

99% of us ride on pavement, not dirt. The flywheel observation for dirt racing is therefore no doubt true but irrelevant. By "racing" I mean all types of road and drag racing not just XS650s...

The "point" of this thread is not about existing batteries but about designing a battery system that actually works in the real world for more than one hour running total loss. It's not easy because these bikes are basically 50hp paint shakers. I've had various sensitive wire, connection, and component failures thus far- but I believe the concept is sound.

Last edited:
I like the idea of total loss electrics. Not for me, but it would be suitable for a small percentage of riders. As you gain riding time with your system, be sure to update this thread, so we know how it works out.

Hooser- thanks. Rest assured I was not trying to be snarky, just seemed that we were discussing somewhat different things...

RG- will do. This is a joint effort with my stepson, who is a battery and EV aficionado who is growing a 3-D printer farm. We also have an electric jet boat project nearly complete.

If all this battery assembly had to do is sit on a bench it would be easy. The vibration is a daunting obstacle.

Total loss makes no sense, still have to keep a battery alive. Go with a crank timed ignition. If you need more information email me at gary@hoosracing.com all I get here anymore is BS that I am trying to sell parts, all the ignition I recommend you can buy through me or directly from the companies I do. I have sold and use one for over 12 years and never had a issue with any of the 100 plus that went through my hand.

What if this is what I have now? Please note the side case. The crank end is uncut, so I could add a whole charging system, but would prefer not to. My plan is to put the bike on the street with minimal changes, except front brake and small head/tail lights. It ran with a front brake at Pikes Peak 1976 and I am fitting that now. The photo was at the Quail in 2017 and the paint is original from 1971. I don't care about limited range. This is obviously not a touring bike. I would be happy with 50-60 mile range or less on a battery. I can always stick another small one in a back pack with quick disconnect to get me home.

Prom Queen Yamaha at Quail 2017.png

Don't get talked into something you don't want.................... If Barncat solved the battery problem this system would be worth a consideration. He hasn't signed in for a while.

Hi, just wondering how the total loss project is going. I am bringing this bike back to life and am consiering a total loss system.
http://www.xs650.com/threads/help-bring-an-old-flat-track-racebike-back-to-life.51319/
I would be interested in your feelings, as well as your opinion of doing total loss with a PAMCO system.
Thanks!

Total loss makes no sense, still have to keep a battery alive. Go with a crank timed ignition. If you need more information email me at gary@hoosracing.com all I get here anymore is BS that I am trying to sell parts, all the ignition I recommend you can buy through me or directly from the companies I do. I have sold and use one for over 12 years and never had a issue with any of the 100 plus that went through my hand.

Hooser, You are hijacking this thread. Your post #30 is in direct conflict with the OP's ................2 reasons. 1; barncat has explained why his reasons work for his total loss situation Post #25, and could work for for others as well. .......2; You are trying to sell YOUR product based on dismissing the op's stated opinion, reason and project.

Don't get talked into something you don't want.................... If Barncat solved the battery problem this system would be worth a consideration. He hasn't signed in for a while.

I think total loss will work for me. This is not going to be a touring bike. It is going to be a "blast up the hill and have a long lunch" bike. Since it is a barn find with a fun history, I don't want to make any more changes to the bike than I have to in order to get it on the street. It ran a drum brake and TT pipes at Pikes Peak, so that will be period accurate. I really don't want to add a whole charging system if at all possible.

Thanks for your support on this! I have a KTM 950SM if I want to really go somewhere.

Back