TotalFool's new XS650!!

totalfool

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hi All:

I am getting some help from MaxPete on starting my thread to tell you about my snazzy new (to me) XS650 Special <I think>. FYI, I have been a member of the forum for a while - but I finally have bought an XS650 which I can restore and enjoy along with all of my riding buddies!

First off, I need a little help identifying the bike as it is a bit of a "bitsa" mongrel (as you can clearly see) - here is the VIN: 447-860-XXX - it is registered as a 1979 and I am pretty sure that it is a Special - but I'd like to know for certain so that I know which wheel to change.

...and here is a photo (as I know that you guys really like photos):
Johns_1979_XS650.jpg

All the tells I can see say special
taillight
fuse box
exhaust
handlebars
Master cylinder
grab bar.
Chrome; chainguard, headlight ears, gauge shrouds
Shock top mount location.
Rear rim looks like it's from a 79 special II
But the biggie is the special II was drum rear brake, the special was disk rear brake. So if there are no master cylinder mounts on the frame, it prolly was a special II and you need that hens tooth alloy 19" front. ;^)

Last edited:
I will tell you to find the front wheel to match the rear. It looks great. I have done just the opposite. It allows me to go tubeless. To go that way, you'll need an '81 Special rear drum cast wheel, or I think you can find an '84 Heritage Special rear wheel in Canada. Yes, you have a Special.

61521_1434208731478_8353141_n.jpg image_50734337 (1).JPG

Great info Marty, Gary and Jim(s) - many thanks!

The bike is complete and seems to have good compression - but it is dead electrically (and it is apparent that someone has been messing with the wiring - A LOT). The fuse box is all frigged-up and I also suggested that he check the starter safety relay - as it will definitely defeat the push button if it is gummed-up.

The wheel thing - yeah, that is a bit of mess - but the attraction of going tubeless.....not a bad idea.

I'm sure that TotalFool will be back to you all as soon as he and Mrs. TotalFool are back home in London, ON (they were down to the new country estate in Harrow for lunch today).

Pete

Last edited:
The first thing to check would be if all other fuses are non existent .Only one at the regular place
But that does not mean none there .. Or that it is a problem But a check before powering up

The battery box side rusty And the head lamp looks different to JetM s

Overall a good start unless the wheel change and lamp is because a crash

Hi All:

I am getting some help from MaxPete on starting my thread to tell you about my snazzy new (to me) XS650 Special <I think>. FYI, I have been a member of the forum for a while - but I finally have bought an XS650 which I can restore and enjoy along with all of my riding buddies!

First off, I need a little help identifying the bike as it is a bit of a "bitsa" mongrel (as you can clearly see) - here is the VIN: 447-860-XXX - it is registered as a 1979 and I am pretty sure that it is a Special - but I'd like to know for certain so that I know which wheel to change.

...and here is a photo (as I know that you guys really like photos):
View attachment 202408

Welcome totalfool............Always wanted to say that..:lmao:

79 XS650 SII or also called a 2F.

This is the first Canadian SII that i know of to be on this site. 447-860*** is the Canadian model SII.

The Special 2 is slightly different to the Special Models. SII has spoke wheels, and the side-covers had decals instead of Badges. They had paint instead of chrome on the headlight bucket and the Chain guard.

Looks like someone has put some Special and standard parts on your Special II. The headlight bucket being red may have come off a 76 and the chrome chain guard and Mag front wheel have come off a Special..........Yours should have a spoke front wheel.

I would like to see the gauges to see if they have been changed. Usually the SII has black bezels on the gauges and the only year i know that had the chrome was on the 76C models.

Scroll down on the link Jim posted and it has a fairly comprehensive description on most models.

Being in Canada the Specials and heritage specials from 81-83/4/5, (Canada only), all had Mag wheels and the rear mag has a drum Brake............Just in case you decide to put a mag wheel on the rear.

US and other countries got a drum brake mag wheel in 81 only.

Last edited:
All the tells I can see say special
taillight
fuse box
exhaust
handlebars
Master cylinder
grab bar.
Chrome; chainguard, headlight ears, gauge shrouds
Shock top mount location.
Rear rim looks like it's from a 79 special II
But the biggie is the special II was drum rear brake, the special was disk rear brake. So if there are no master cylinder mounts on the frame, it prolly was a special II and you need that hens tooth alloy 19" front. ;^)
Thanks for the post. There is no bracket for a rear caliper so I think as a result of all of the info provided that the bike is indeed a 79 Special II/2F. As a result of this I think that I will try to replace the front wheel with a 19" spoked wheel, if I can find one. I'd like to keep the bike as close to its original format as possible. Your post along with the others has been a big help in primarily identifying the model and also suggesting how to proceed in resolving some of the problems encountered. Cheers

I will tell you to find the front wheel to match the rear. It looks great. I have done just the opposite. It allows me to go tubeless. To go that way, you'll need an '81 Special rear drum cast wheel, or I think you can find an '84 Heritage Special rear wheel in Canada. Yes, you have a Special.

View attachment 202413 View attachment 202414
Thanks, I will take your advice and first try to find the proper front wheel!

Back