• Allison

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

gggGary

If not now, When?
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
The Minneapolis CL ad: 1976 CB750A project $500.
A is for 2 speed automatic. First two pics are "how it used to look" pic three was current status.
00e0e_4H1OGQnjrUEz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg 00101_bJzQ0OTlDwvz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg 00R0R_gCUjZWYAYK7z_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
Allison and I hopped in the Prius.
4 hours of windshield time and $400, loaded up,
20210518_182143.jpg

another 4 hours of windshield time, home at 1AM
unloading
20210519_121824.jpg

details
20210519_111248.jpg

20210520_114630.jpg

20210520_101922.jpg

20210520_101237.jpg

20210520_101306.jpg

Automatics don't have oil tanks use a deep sump which needs to be off to remove motor from frame. I'm thinking this is a running motor so it's (just sitting) back in the frame mocked up after a bunch of careful sump gasket cleaning,
sump.jpg

and a head stud retorque ;^)
20210524_111555.jpg

When the sump gasket gets here and a bunch more cleaning and assembly, we will see what happens.
I warned you it was unrelated. Can't help it if you're nosy. :cool:

Last edited:
I'm thinking this is a running motor
What makes you think the motor/trans work? I know you better than to take the sellers word.

I didn't realize Honda's were on your diet but not Nortons.

What makes you think the motor/trans work? I know you better than to take the sellers word.

I didn't realize Honda's were on your diet but not Nortons.
This like all ratholes started out simply as; ooh a muffler I need, and then.........
17 k miles, he even bought a license plate, expired 2020... I'm thinking motor was out justcuz he was going to clean it up "real good" Also someone may have dropped the sump before, and done a poor job of resealing the gasket causing a small but persistent drip/leak and making a dirt/oil mess. PO put in "carb kits" before project ground to a halt, but that will get revisited. the automatics use a single accel pump to feed all four carbs, passages are a royal pain to get clear. (done a set of these carbs before) need to get the electrolysis set up going inside the gas (s)tank.

Ooooooh, an engine-out basketcase doesn't give me warm fuzzies.
But, the CB-750A is known to be bullet-proof.

Fingers crossed that the PO thought that the gnarly sounds were from the engine, and pulled it, not knowing that his problem was really a stretched drivechain...

Last edited:
Neither oil pan nor filter had been cleaned, so I had some pretty good tea leaves to inspect, no evident nastys, had valve cover off for retorque (and a look see) top end looked very good.
MY PO bought it not running, sitting since 2004 as an "easy restore" from HIS PO. LOL His statement; I was so sure this wouldn't take long that I got a license plate for it. :laughing: We ALL know how "easy restores" go.
@TwoManyXS1Bs guy now has a 1500 Victory he's riding, he was very interested in an ECU reflash and easier clutch action........:sneaky:
Yeah I removed the drive chain with an angle grinder.

I learned to ride on this bikes little brother, the Cb450a. Was a good one to learn on because you never had to worry about a clutch. Not that I couldn't have learned, I had been driving 3,4 and 5spd cars since I was 17. Nevertheless, it took one aspect out of the equation and let me worry about other things more. It even had a Yosemite Sam "Back Off" mid flap!

Motor's bolted in, parts finding from the "tub" is going pretty well.
Chrome is good to very good for a midwest bike it's starting to shine.
On the head retorque I went down the intake side last night and really didn't get much change, then today I did the exhaust, front, side and oh yeah they were "just" snug, high hopes the "Honda 750 SOHC head drool" will be greatly reduced. Really want to kick it through a bunch and go fire but need to get that sump gasket here and add the 5.8 quarts of oil required, including one poured in through the valve access covers :cool:.

Back