Reaction score

Attachments

• FAA80D13-9B1D-4404-83BD-86DD3AC7F40D.jpeg
    FAA80D13-9B1D-4404-83BD-86DD3AC7F40D.jpeg
    173.1 KB · Views: 14

LTGTR

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Vans - that looks like a great purchase.
I think Tourmax are the original makers of the ARS brand.
I have been looking on Ebay and all the Tourmax kits seem to have 8 seals, but I think 10 seals are required.
How many seals has your kit got.
Thanks - Ray.

Jan_P

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I bought a kit for the petcock of the Tour max brand .. I regret THAT
thin rubber parts. Notably thinner than stock Lots of work .Trying to get the membrane not folding and stay in place and then eventually gave up ..Did not get it to work.
Admittedly I am not good at the small parts stuff. Having fingers not suited for that. But I will stay clear of the brand if possible.
Having said that seals are made in bulk for industry. So these can be good.

bosco659

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
For my old stuff like the XS, I like to keep “spares“ on hand because you never know…… If a seal can be replaced without significant disassembly I’m ok with off branded product. But for something deep inside the engine, or a pita to get to, I try to use OEM stuff. That said, I chased a leaking cam seal for a couple of seasons using seals from XS650DIRECT. They are easy to get to but I was frustrated they kept seeping. I ended up buying OEM Yamaha seals and under the covers is dry as a bone. Note aftermarket seals were thicker than OEM.

vansmetal

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Vans - that looks like a great purchase.
I think Tourmax are the original makers of the ARS brand.
I have been looking on Ebay and all the Tourmax kits seem to have 8 seals, but I think 10 seals are required.
How many seals has your kit got.
Thanks - Ray.

Kit has 10 and I just verified to make sure.

Jim

Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
One thing to keep an eye on is cam seals like the one in this kit. There's a rotation arrow on it. Some seals (garlock's the technical name of these type seals) have angled ribs for lack of a better word.... on the inner lip. These ribs direct oil away from the seal when rotation is oriented correctly, and into the seal when not. For the cam seals you should have 2 with arrows facing opposite each other.
Not long ago I had to send a kit back 'cause it had 2 seals with the same rotation.

(arrow indicates direction of rotation of the the part being sealed. The cam in this case)

Untitled.png

bosco659

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
One thing to keep an eye on is cam seals like the one in this kit. There's a rotation arrow on it. Some seals (garlock's the technical name of these type seals) have angled ribs for lack of a better word.... on the inner lip. These ribs direct oil away from the seal when rotation is oriented correctly, and into the seal when not. For the cam seals you should have 2 with arrows facing opposite each other.
Not long ago I had to send a kit back 'cause it had 2 seals with the same rotation.

(arrow indicates direction of rotation of the the part being sealed. The cam in this case)

View attachment 234379
Thanks Jim, never knew that!

Jim

Beyond the edge is the unknown. Here be Dragons
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks Jim, never knew that!
Keep in mind that not all kits have the "one direction only" seals. I have an ARS (TourMax) seal kit on hand for my 750 engine. It does not have the one direction only seals.... no arrows.
Just keep in mind that if you see an arrow, it matters where it goes.

bosco659

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
Keep in mind that not all kits have the "one direction only" seals. I have an ARS (TourMax) seal kit on hand for my 750 engine. It does not have the one direction only seals.... no arrows.
Just keep in mind that if you see an arrow, it matters where it goes.
Wonder if that’s why my cam seals seeped oil?🤔