Tour Max oil seal kit

vansmetal

XS650 Addict
Reaction score

Attachments

• FAA80D13-9B1D-4404-83BD-86DD3AC7F40D.jpeg
    FAA80D13-9B1D-4404-83BD-86DD3AC7F40D.jpeg
    173.1 KB · Views: 56
Vans - that looks like a great purchase.
I think Tourmax are the original makers of the ARS brand.
I have been looking on Ebay and all the Tourmax kits seem to have 8 seals, but I think 10 seals are required.
How many seals has your kit got.
Thanks - Ray.

I bought a kit for the petcock of the Tour max brand .. I regret THAT
thin rubber parts. Notably thinner than stock Lots of work .Trying to get the membrane not folding and stay in place and then eventually gave up ..Did not get it to work.
Admittedly I am not good at the small parts stuff. Having fingers not suited for that. But I will stay clear of the brand if possible.
Having said that seals are made in bulk for industry. So these can be good.

For my old stuff like the XS, I like to keep “spares“ on hand because you never know…… If a seal can be replaced without significant disassembly I’m ok with off branded product. But for something deep inside the engine, or a pita to get to, I try to use OEM stuff. That said, I chased a leaking cam seal for a couple of seasons using seals from XS650DIRECT. They are easy to get to but I was frustrated they kept seeping. I ended up buying OEM Yamaha seals and under the covers is dry as a bone. Note aftermarket seals were thicker than OEM.

Vans - that looks like a great purchase.
I think Tourmax are the original makers of the ARS brand.
I have been looking on Ebay and all the Tourmax kits seem to have 8 seals, but I think 10 seals are required.
How many seals has your kit got.
Thanks - Ray.

Kit has 10 and I just verified to make sure.

One thing to keep an eye on is cam seals like the one in this kit. There's a rotation arrow on it. Some seals (garlock's the technical name of these type seals) have angled ribs for lack of a better word.... on the inner lip. These ribs direct oil away from the seal when rotation is oriented correctly, and into the seal when not. For the cam seals you should have 2 with arrows facing opposite each other.
Not long ago I had to send a kit back 'cause it had 2 seals with the same rotation.

(arrow indicates direction of rotation of the the part being sealed. The cam in this case)

Untitled.png

One thing to keep an eye on is cam seals like the one in this kit. There's a rotation arrow on it. Some seals (garlock's the technical name of these type seals) have angled ribs for lack of a better word.... on the inner lip. These ribs direct oil away from the seal when rotation is oriented correctly, and into the seal when not. For the cam seals you should have 2 with arrows facing opposite each other.
Not long ago I had to send a kit back 'cause it had 2 seals with the same rotation.

(arrow indicates direction of rotation of the the part being sealed. The cam in this case)

View attachment 234379
Thanks Jim, never knew that!

Thanks Jim, never knew that!
Keep in mind that not all kits have the "one direction only" seals. I have an ARS (TourMax) seal kit on hand for my 750 engine. It does not have the one direction only seals.... no arrows.
Just keep in mind that if you see an arrow, it matters where it goes.

Keep in mind that not all kits have the "one direction only" seals. I have an ARS (TourMax) seal kit on hand for my 750 engine. It does not have the one direction only seals.... no arrows.
Just keep in mind that if you see an arrow, it matters where it goes.
Wonder if that’s why my cam seals seeped oil?🤔

About to put oil seal on and noticed that the crankshaft oil seal has an arrow but not sure why considering it has to sit in a lip and can only go in one way…also the camshaft oil seals do not have arrows. I took a close up pic of the seals with arrows to show y’all what does have the directional arrows…which I can’t remember what is what as that info is in garage(clutch, countershaft..I think are the other 2 oil seals with directional arrow).

Attachments

• B6249305-50BC-4D42-A128-8C1A95AA1D62.jpeg
    B6249305-50BC-4D42-A128-8C1A95AA1D62.jpeg
    499.1 KB · Views: 50
  • BA266354-EDAE-4E2B-9532-23ED151DE67C.jpeg
    BA266354-EDAE-4E2B-9532-23ED151DE67C.jpeg
    399.4 KB · Views: 47
Last edited:
The arrow indicates direction of rotation it's sealing against. Notice the ridges molded into the inner lip. They push the oil back in away from the seal when correctly installed. Look at one without the arrow and you'll see the lip is smooth... no ridges. It will work for either rotation.

Untitled.png

The arrow indicates direction of rotation it's sealing against. Notice the ridges molded into the inner lip. They push the oil back in away from the seal when correctly installed. Look at one without the arrow and you'll see the lip is smooth... no ridges. It will work for either rotation.

View attachment 235144

I was looking at it from the point that the arrow was there only to get it installed correctly…thanks for pointing out the ridges!

I was looking at it from the point that the arrow was there only to get it installed correctly…thanks for pointing out the ridges!
I'm late with everything in life, but as they say better late than never. I just received these directional cam seals SFK in bags marked as XS performance. These are a rusty brown colour with the same markings as on the one above but the material looks and feels like plastic not rubber. These are 6mm according to my caliper. I have another set black rubber 7mm, feels like they would seal better than those brown ones, no specific directional marks on them.
Also, how exactly are these seals installed? i hear three or four different points of view and can't find anything definitive. Does the seal protrude out past the back lip of the cover (by lip i mean that the O ring fits around)? Is it flush with the top of that lip? Is it set more inside of the cover or flush with the innerside of the cover? I see fellas letting them hang out past the lip a few mms. Is the seal supposed to touch the cam bearings?
really would be nice to know. Half of us out here are probably having leaks because they are installed incorrectly, and perhaps having absolutely nothing to do with the dimensions or how many lips the cam seal has.

The outer edge of the seal gets pushed in flush with the edge of the flange on the housing. Don't push it in any further or it might make contact with the bearing.

1704074886711.png

Thanks Jim.
That makes total sense.
What do you think about the seals I mentioned above?
So many different ones out there gotta be something good in all of them. If I were to use the 7mm, with better rubber, is there anything in that timing rod, once tightened, that would pull that thicker seal in towards the bearings?
Thank you

There's no danger of anything pulling the seal into the bearings. Nothing other than the cam touches it.

Wonder if that’s why my cam seals seeped oil?🤔
I don't remember how it was ..but one seal has a bit different dimensions --- Maybe that one -- in some seal kits than stock Yamaha
Something like 5 mm and the kit had 6 mm axially 5. 5 -- 6.5 ?? I dont remember .. ,But there was a difference
I dont think it matters .. But stock is usually right .In some sense .
I remember many years ago getting the advice buying the seal over the counter at an industrial supplier rather than Yamaha.
Instead of waiting for the mail which could take some time. But since it was not stock industrial dimensions -- what Yamaha used -- there was a slight difference Again I am unsure it was that one.

Last time I was trying to stop a leak there I noticed that it moved easily in and out .With Grease on the outer --one could press it in with the Thumbs

Thanks Jan_p
I tried putting in the seals, just to see how they'd fit. They're going in with I fight so I'm definitely going to grease them up when I'm ready to go. Someone glued the ones I removed.
The seals themselves have the same dimensions. One set being 6mm and one at 7mm. I'm just thinking if they're installed correctly either set will work as long as they aren't loose.
I expect there'll be leaks on the bike somewhere no matter how new all the bits are. If I can keep them minimal I'm happy. Jim's pic above seems correct so I'm going to try that seal setting.
Thanks everyone for all the input.
When I'm done this thing, perhaps in a couple months I'll post some pics.

The ends of the cam don't protrude very much out of the engine so the thinner the seal, the better. Those 7mm thick seals you have may leak because they may not get much "purchase" on the ends of the cam. The original Yamaha seals are only 5mm thick and work best. They're not that expensive either.

Back