Transmission woes

scdrtramp

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello,, I recently purchased an 83 heritage special. Rode it for about 300 miles. At first I found that it would lock up while rolling backwards in neutral, after rolling forward a couple feet it was fine. I would do it when running or off. The next thing was it would only downshift to 3rd while riding. I took the clutch cover off and found the shift paw out of adj, so I adjusted it and put it back together, rode it and again and the same thing it would not downshift past third. I know it has to be something broken in the trans and will soon have it off the frame to do it. I'm just wondering if anyone has had similar problems and could tell me what to look for. Thanks.

The lock up while rolling backwards is often due to the kickstart gears/spring.
there are two springs and a riveted disk back behind the clutch also, are those parts all there and working?
ShiftSprings.jpg

Why would you downshift to 3rd while not riding? To my mind these are primitive and quirky, and if it works when it needs to work in reality, everything is fine.
Yes; shifting with the motor off only works by rocking the bike back and forth. It's the nature of a constant mesh transmision. Shifting with the motor running and bike not moving is difficult when you have a multi disc wet clutch.

If the hole in the pressure plate isn't lined up with the mark on the clutch plate holder it will do weird things transmission-wise.

Many issues can be caused by shift shaft paw assembly and the star assembly on the end of the shift drum. They can be accessed under the right engine cover. Probably best to check all that before pulling the motor and splitting centercases. You can remove the clutch pressure plate and friction plates; that will allow you to rotate the mainshaft by hand (via clutch center hub) while working the shifter to see what's-up.

Attachments

• xs650g shifting.pdf
    1.3 MB · Views: 113
Many issues can be caused by shift shaft paw assembly and the star assembly on the end of the shift drum. They can be accessed under the right engine cover. Probably best to check all that before pulling the motor and splitting centercases. You can remove the clutch pressure plate and friction plates; that will allow you to rotate the mainshaft by hand (via clutch center hub) while working the shifter to see what's-up.
Thanks for the reply and the file. i went into the right hand cover the first time it done this, and all I found was the adjustment on the shift centering spring was off. I adjusted it and put it all back together and the next ride it did the same thing. It's like the shifter is jammed and will not go down to shift.

The shift shaft can also get bent between the exit from left centercase and the shift lever from the bike getting dropped on that side or a thrown drive chain. That's also an item to check before main disassembly.

The shift shaft can also get bent between the exit from left centercase and the shift lever from the bike getting dropped on that side or a thrown drive chain. That's also an item to check before main disassembly.
Let me ask you this,,, why would it lock up rolling backwards in neutral. It done that a few times after I bought it, but after rolling it forward a couple feet it would be fine, it only locked up going backwards tho.

Let me ask you this,,, why would it lock up rolling backwards in neutral. It done that a few times after I bought it, but after rolling it forward a couple feet it would be fine, it only locked up going backwards tho.
I've not experienced that, but Gary indicated above that it involved the kick-start assembly and it is tricky to install correctly. Does it otherwise work well and return quickly back?

When you say locked up do you mean totally locked, just in gear and if rolling it forward let you get it back in Neutral are you saying you pulled in the clutch and rolled it forward or were you unable to roll it back but it rolled forward no issues? Does the clutch work normally, hard to pull? Can you get it back into first at all?

the kick starter works like it should, and does return like it should
When you say locked up do you mean totally locked, just in gear and if rolling it forward let you get it back in Neutral are you saying you pulled in the clutch and rolled it forward or were you unable to roll it back but it rolled forward no issues? Does the clutch work normally, hard to pull? Can you get it back into first at all?

By locked up I meant while rolling backward in neutral it would lock up, but could roll it forward with no problem. the first time it did it was in first gear and rolling out of a driveway with the clutch pulled in. the clutch is new and works smooth. It took off fine and ran through the gears to fifth, then when slowing and downshifting it would only go down to third and no farther down.

Back