Transmission woes

It kinda sounds like an issue with a detent to me but you mention the clutch is new. Who put it in and were there any problems before?

when trying to downshift to second it will not even shift down at all. and never got it in neutral after that. I removed the side cover and clutch assembly and can downshift it then.
It kinda sounds like an issue with a detent to me but you mention the clutch is new. Who put it in and were there any problems before?

clutch assembly order..jpg

I just got the bike last fall. I know the clutch is new because I removed it. prior to the problem the clutch worked fine.
Now we’re getting somewhere. Note the pics Gary sent, it may not seem like it but one part out of sequence can really jack things up.

Thinking out loud
Shifting problems can be a lot of things
Keep it simple and do the checks and adjustments according to the service manual
as per # 2 Gary and others above.

I have not heard of any major weakness on the gearbox wheels nor on shift forks
My first guess is an adjustment issue as mentioned above
Clutch or shifting mechanism

Opening the engine get to the gearbox is a big job very big.
Do the checks on the outside accessible parts at least 2 times . Thoroughly .
Personally I wold replace the springs and operate the gearbox many times
Before taking it to the next level.

I would also loosen the clutch adjustment into the slipping range see if that makes shifting smoother
I cant get into neutral warm days from 1 or 2 without bike rolling

One check can be dome on the central stand with the foot against the rear wheel
1 st gear running engine wheel spinning in the air with the clutch in try to stop the wheel with the foot.
Then one knows it releases

Check that the Shark finned lever is on the inside of the star wheel all the time Not climbing or jumps out

1655249056586.png

When you say locked up do you mean totally locked, just in gear and if rolling it forward let you get it back in Neutral are you saying you pulled in the clutch and rolled it forward or were you unable to roll it back but it rolled forward no issues? Does the clutch work normally, hard to pull? Can you get it back into first at all?

when it locks, the wheel is what locks. it has done it with the engine running or off. after it wouldn't downshift the second time I tried to reposition in in my shop and it would not roll backwards with the clutch in and not running. it would only roll backwards after I removed the clutch.

when it locks, the wheel is what locks. it has done it with the engine running or off. after it wouldn't downshift the second time I tried to reposition in in my shop and it would not roll backwards with the clutch in and not running. it would only roll backwards after I removed the clutch.
Sounds like the common denominator here is your clutch. You said it’s new and you know because you removed it. Did you remove it because things locked up? Did you put the new clutch in or did the PO because if someone else put the new clutch in there’s no guarantee they had it right so if you put it back in and something was off there would be no way to tell without following one of the above diagrams.

Sounds like the common denominator here is your clutch. You said it’s new and you know because you removed it. Did you remove it because things locked up? Did you put the new clutch in or did the PO because if someone else put the new clutch in there’s no guarantee they had it right so if you put it back in and something was off there would be no way to tell without following one of the above diagrams.

Maybe the clutch is the problem with the downshifting, but when the wheel locks in neutral I think the clutch might be out of the loop. When the wheel locks is stops dead mechanical like. and the shifting problem is also mechanical I think. After going down to third, which it does fine, the shifter will not click down any further, it is like something is blocking it. the clutch has always worked fine and smooth, but I hasve only put a couple hundred miles on it. I had a 750 honda one time that wouldn't shift up into second. It was that way when I got it. Like many of them the chain had broken the case and the PO had put jb weld or something on it and ran it he said. I split the case and found that he had not taken the pieces of the case out before sealing it, and one had moved and was blocking the gear from sliding. cleared it out and it ran great.

I believe you said you had to remove the clutch to get it back in neutral, correct? That kinda tells you the gears are working correctly but something else is affecting them. When I started my last build I couldn’t get the bike to shift into first. Neutral and the other gears worked fine. After I cleaned everything up under the left side cover it worked just fine.

I had a chance today to look further into my shifting problem and found that the large spring that springs it back is bent I believe.

Attachments

• 876662EF-7A92-4873-ADC2-8083D4B6DA8C.jpeg
    876662EF-7A92-4873-ADC2-8083D4B6DA8C.jpeg
    339.7 KB · Views: 76
  • B4BA3649-8FE9-4A32-A65B-8F9C1E86490B.jpeg
    B4BA3649-8FE9-4A32-A65B-8F9C1E86490B.jpeg
    263.8 KB · Views: 82
  • CD2C5C6D-CCB4-48E5-AF2A-BF92075BEC7E.jpeg
    CD2C5C6D-CCB4-48E5-AF2A-BF92075BEC7E.jpeg
    321.4 KB · Views: 83
IIRC, the spring itself looks normal. The position of the shift shaft, however, does not look right and is not centered on the adjuster cam screw (pic 1). Do you have a wider shot of the assembled mechanism that includes the shift star, etc.?

IIRC, the spring itself looks normal. The position of the shift shaft, however, does not look right and is not centered on the adjuster cam screw (pic 1). Do you have a wider shot of the assembled mechanism that includes the shift star, etc.?
If you look close at pic two the two legs on the spring are different. Should they be this way?? When the downshift problem first happened I pulled the clutch and the shift shaft looked just like it does in the pic, one leg of the spring is actually unde the lever possibly limiting the travel. The first time I put the spring leg where it was supposed to be and adjusted it. This time the spring leg is right back. I’m going to take the shift shaft out of the parts motor I bought and compare them. I’ll let you know tomorrow what I find. 🦊

Compliments of 5Twins:
xFqHh69.jpg

Back