Tri-Spark ignition for Yamaha XS650

LTGTR

XS650 Addict
Reaction score
Went to a British Bike Day out in the Adelaide Hills today and ran into Steve, the man who builds the Tri-Spark ignition systems.
He was displaying his Triumph Trident T160.
I had a good talk to him and he reminded me that he has shot a small video of the Tri-Spark ignition for the Yamaha XS650.
He also reminded me that I was supposed to let you guys know and post a link to the video.
If you have any queries I know he would be pleased to answer any emails.
For the Canadian guys/gals on the forum, he came to Australia from Canada and bought his Trident with him - so we cant claim his as an original Aussie - yet.
Its only a small video but its good to know there are people out there interested in making a quality product for our 40 year old bikes.
Most important - I dont have any affiliation with Steve, just pleased to pass on some info. (I havent made up my mind yet which ignition I will pick for my "No.2" build).
Here's the link - Regards Ray.

Thanks for posting the information, LTGTR. The Trispark system looks good. The timing plate is very robust and sits fully supported in the bottom of the ignition case, and the trigger and pickup are exposed, not hidden by a flimsy and badly supported timing plate. The Boyer-Bransden system looks (and is) crude and improvised in comparison. The price looked a little steep until I realized that it's given in Australian dollars; shipped to the USA, the tab comes to around $315 USD, which is a bargain considering what you get. Steve will get an order if my Probe ignition ever fails.

Last edited:
After checking out the website, I'm considering the Tristar system to replace the PAMCO kit I installed in my '75 four years ago. Since installation it has had a glitch (intermittent stalling at idle when hot) which I've been chasing to such an extent that I seem to have eliminated most or all variables but the ignition. The Tristar would be an interesting experiment. I would write up the installation here in a Garage thread and do a follow-up extended road test.

Tristar offers technical support by email or phone (!) which is a plus. The equipment appears to be well-constructed.

Just went on there.

Says $395 - shipped to US (California) total cost $437 to my door step. And maybe there is a glitch or something. I realize that converts to your cost griz but mine showed up as 395 usd with a higher Australian dollar at check out. 🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️🤷🏻‍♂️

Almost double a Boyer. (I paid $240 to my door)

Last edited:
I must have read that wrong, thought the price was $437 Australian shipped to USA. At $437 US I'd be considering the VAPE/Powerdynamo system. Is the Trispark worth $200 more than Boyer? That's a judgement call, but it would be worth it to me. I used a Boyer ignition for years, and I wouldn't install another one if they were giving them away.

The "instant" start is a really nice feature of the high voltage coils with EI. My DX65 unit does that same start on first rotation.

Had a look. $434.00, Aus$, to my door.

EDIT: I was wrong about the $40.00. It is added on to the Aussie price as a Goods and Service Tax we pay of 10%. So we pay $395.00 + $40.00 gst + postage

Last edited:
There is a previous thread on this ignition from last October. (see below)
Gary made this calculation:

AUS 395 AUD
= 294.91 USD

Given that there is some confusion surrounding the price to the US, I sent them an email for price clarification.
I'll report back on this.

Yes, please do. $400+ is a bit much for me anyway, considering the whole bikes I have cost less than that, lol. It does look like a nice, well made unit though. Too bad he doesn't offer the ignition alone without a coil. I'd much rather provide my own 3 ohm coil, something with replaceable plug wires like a Honda MP08. That would knock like $60 to $70 off the cost and if the conversion to U.S. dollars is verified, make it a pretty good bargain.

$311.54 shipped to KC
.... and no, I ain't payin' that much long as I have spare TCI and gonzo boxes.

Untitled.png

Untitledz.png

Spent the last 15-20 min talking to Steve the owner and manufacturer of the Tri Spark systems.

Good to talk to..............The XS650 system was launched in December 2001.

On the price. Australia has a goods and services Tax, GST) of 10% and that is what the $40.00 is.

Australians pay $395.00 + GST of $40 is $435.00 + postage.

US customers don't pay or are charged GST and the $395.00 is Australian $. When paying by PayPal they will convert the $395.00 to US $;s and you will pay the US $ rate + any PayPal fees + postage

Dont Quote my price it is in round figures.

For argument sake the postage from Aus to the US is $50.00 + $395.00 = $445.00

Conversion rate from US $445.00 to Australian Is $319.70 + any paypal fees

The Tri Spsrk Unit is built to take Electrical spikes. If the charging system is not working properly and is overcharging it will not affect the Ignition. It can run at 25 volts all day and still wont affect the ignition

My computer is on the blink.............Might be the last message i get through with this laptop...............

I told Steve, from Tri Spark, about this thread and he has heard about it from the OP. I gave him a link and expect him to come on here and post and talk about the system and any questions anyone has about it and what it can do.

Yes, please do. $400+ is a bit much for me anyway, considering the whole bikes I have cost less than that, lol. It does look like a nice, well made unit though. Too bad he doesn't offer the ignition alone without a coil. I'd much rather provide my own 3 ohm coil, something with replaceable plug wires like a Honda MP08. That would knock like $60 to $70 off the cost and if the conversion to U.S. dollars is verified, make it a pretty good bargain.

I hope steve comes on as he will be able to clear up any questions. He seems to be very reasonable and as he said to me these units can be repaired and if by chance it does need a repair he is also prepared to waver repair costs in certain situations...............he may be open to selling without coils, he will be able to answer that

This may be repetitive, but I did say that I would report the response from Steve:

"Thank you for your inquiry, here is information on our Tri-Spark Compass Ignition for your Yamaha XS 650.
Our prices are in Australian dollars and our website will calculate the postage prior to check-out. Your payment will convert to US dollars via your bank."

BTW, when I calculated the shipping to Syracuse NY, I got this:

International Parcel - Standard - $41.90
International Standard Air Mail

Back