For Sale - Triumph style tank and side cover badges

resto

XS650 Junkie
Top Contributor
Reaction score
Hi all,

Update (August 9, 2014)

All the badges have been SOLD.

Here is a link to my album that shows what they look like mounted on tanks.
http://www.xs650.com/media/albums/1711/

full

They are shaped for the Yamaha tanks. But I do have the "masters" which are real modified Triumph badges. They would screw right on, plus have the advantage of having real chrome on them. I wasn't intending to sell them, but I could.

full

Another option is to shape the white unfinished blanks with a heat gun (works quite well). But then you would have to finish them on your own.

full

The Special tank is smaller (capacity wise) and has flatter sides. It is, however, the same height as the Standard tank. When I make the badge blanks, I strap the silicone mold to the tank and pour in the resin. That way the blank picks up the exact curve of the tank.

resto

MAN THESE ARE AWESOME! Makes me wish I had used my stock tank!:banghead:

I do have the white blanks available, they can be shaped (up to a certain point) with a heat gun then pressed against a tank. You would have to finish them yourself however. $15 a pair (plus shipping) if you are interested.

resti

Basically, I use a heavy duty aluminum foil (shiny side up). For the letters, it is glued directly to them, then worked with a small wooden dowel to form the indentations where the black paint will go. The excess is trimmed off with an exacto knife.

The backbone and edges are trickier since they are compound curves. I use a super thin double side tape on the blank, apply the foil and "massage" it to stretch over the curvatures. That part goes pretty slow, the foil tears easily if not careful. Some wrinkles are inevitable, foil only stretches so far. Once the foil is on, it is polished, then coated with a couple of coats of clear. You can tell from up close that they are not factory made, but from a few feet away, they turn a lot of heads.

full

Hey,

Glad to see you received them already. Can't remember if I put a picture in the box with the mounting location dimensions. In case I haven't, the front point of the tank badges should be located 15cm (5.9 inch) from a level surface (table?) that the tank is resting on, and 5cm (2 inch) from the tank tunnel lip. Then the badge is aligned so that the bottom of the badge is horizontal (i.e. parallel with the table).

Post some pics once you have them on.

resto

Back