Truing stand

Wingedwheel

If it wasn’t broke before, let me try it…
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I’ve gotten by with using truing stands made from ply and 2x material but saw a couple other members stands and got jealous! I had this swingarm left from the TX500 part-out so it became the centerpiece. I also didn’t want to have to store a large stand so I set this up to fold for storage. Probably not getting painted until spring but it seems to work as I thought. D3726C51-6086-43F7-A3D1-8505B7F37B1A.jpegB4191AD4-A99B-4271-A6EA-EA0F7CCCF0FF.jpeg

I’ve gotten by with using truing stands made from ply and 2x material but saw a couple other members stands and got jealous! I had this swingarm left from the TX500 part-out so it became the centerpiece. I also didn’t want to have to store a large stand so I set this up to fold for storage. Probably not getting painted until spring but it seems to work as I thought.View attachment 230141View attachment 230142
And now that I've bought Halfmiles Radian swing arm, I'll have a stocker to make a stand from. I like yours a lot. I'm gonna' steal it!

I have to apologize. I guesstimated the lumber cost, hardware cost and "do it over to get it right cost" and bought a HF unit last week. I will use it once for certain. maybe never again. When I die I am sure my son will want it or offer it cheap here.

If ya get into actual truing, you'll want to fashion a pair of stop-collars for the axle to prevent side movement of the wheel - shootin' for <1mm runout. Store-bought has those conical collars for that purpose.

Yes, that's the important thing for a truing stand - the wheel can't be allowed to move side to side. I have one of those store bought stands, only because I got it cheap off Craigslist, but it's only good for balancing because the wheel can shift side to side .....

Balancing.jpg

I'd have to make up some sort of stops for the "axle", but I haven't bothered because I have my old homemade stand that works great. It has like a 12" x 12" steel plate base that allows me to attach a magnetic base holder for my dial gauge. It's pretty easy to get the wheel true to less than .010" .....

Wheel Stand.jpg

Wheel Stand2.jpg

I shim the wheel in the stand with various spacers and washers so it can't move side to side .....

Wheel Shimming.jpg

Wheel Shimming2.jpg

Last edited:
I have two, one I fabricated and one I purchased used which is old and really well thought out

I came up with a way to stabilize and lock the stand upright. Using the tabs for the chain guard I fashioned a piece to hold it upright with a bolt or lay flat when detached. I’m always hopeful my welding skills will have magically improved yet to have my hopes dashed again! I will still be rounding out the corners of the angle but I like the direction this went.

FAEC46CD-A35D-4B07-AB14-835B8F3DDB25.jpegBD268AAE-0384-4129-8677-22BFEDAF0829.jpeg7E2F6669-2BFC-43B1-A893-1D86078E62D7.jpeg64E8BD1C-4C9A-4CDC-97C8-6B776D9D77ED.jpeg

My welding skills have greatly improved my grinding skills, lol. And one of my new favorites are flap wheels or discs. They do such a nice job smoothing out metal, remove it just about as well as a grinding disc too.

hf balance stand with a ggg replacement axle from modified all thread and coupling nuts cuz the HF collars and axle; um, suck.
hint; check that HF axle for straight. you won't get very good wheel balance with a bent shaft.

HF balance stand.jpghubz 007.JPG

ho-made truing stand.
20160407_143501.jpgDSCN8444.JPG

Gary, are you using a taper sleeve of sorts with the coupling nuts?
with 5/8" all thread, a taper machined on the end of the coupling nut fits and holds both front and rear XS650 bearings.
I got lucky when I did the tapers; the inner section fits the front and the part that ends on the hex flats just catches the rear bearings.
1669133559563.jpeg

with 5/8" all thread, a taper machined on the end of the coupling nut fits and holds both front and rear XS650 bearings.
I got lucky when I did the tapers; the inner section fits the front and the part that ends on the hex flats just catches the rear bearings.
View attachment 230466
Do you have any issues with one backing off depending on which direction you are rotating the wheel?

View attachment 230466

Do you have any issues with one backing off depending on which direction you are rotating the wheel?
With my HF stand I immobilized the shaft and let the wheel spin on the wheel bearings. One less variable.

no cuz you tighten them against each other.

With my HF stand I immobilized the shaft and let the wheel spin on the wheel bearings. One less variable.
True but... the stand bearing have less resistance than the wheel bearings.
And you need to clean, lube with light oil, the hf stand bearings.
Being of a labor saving (lazy) nature, I find with the steel stick on weights once the stopping point moves from the original heavy point you're done. I don't think you neeed to get any closer to balanced than that.

Back