trying my hand at bike building

mfrad17

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello to all, I've decided that I don't have enough irons in the fire between working gobs of hours, raising two young boys and keeping up with the honey-do-lists. So, I decided that it was time to try and regain some of my youth by taking on a winter bike building project. My wife says that when I get down to the painting of the bike, that I should have a pin-up girl painted on the side of the tank and call the bike "mid-life crisis". Though I denied the mid-life crisis idea, I am going to hold on to the pin-up girl idea and hopefully incorporate it into the bike. I am new to the XS 650 crowd, but have been impressed with what a helpful and tight knit group they are. I have had so many people offer helpful hints and suggestions, that I feel that my choice of bikes was a good one. I just want to say that I'm no engine guru, and will probably be picking your brains for info that I am in need of. I did get a hell of a deal on 2 XS's, got a '73 and '74 for $350, and actually have enough parts for both bikes with a few extras left over. Since I am going to be looking for help over the coming months, I am more than willing to help where I can, if anyone is looking for parts and I have what your looking for, don't be afraid to ask. I am a Mechanical Engineer for a living, so I can help with bike fab questions and even throw out a few bike mods that I've come up with, (forward controls, suspension mods, risers and anything else that falls under the mechanical tag). Anyway, just wanted to give you a heads up to my bike building project and would appreciate any advice that you may be able to give to me.

Thanks,

Marc

Hey Marc .... welcome aboard !!!. Build away my friend. I have built 4 XS's (mostly cafe) and have enjoyed it very step of the way !!!. Pics of the build project as it comes alive are always welcome.

Enjoy !!

Welcome to the site Marc! Mechanical Engineer you say.... I started college with the intention of being a Mechanical Engineer but there is way too much Calculus! Now that I have a degree in Finance, and am not a Mechanical Engineer, I might have to bounce a few ideas off you regarding steering and suspensions (angles, spring rates, etc). :bike:

Back