Tube bender plans

I'm trying to figure out if I could make that ram work with the pro-tools 105 or JD2 model 3 bender...

Okay so I know I started this thread saying I was looking for a way to make a cheap bender, but now I'm thinking I'm going to spend a little bit more on this and get what I want from the start. I've been looking at getting a Pro-tools 105HD with 2 or 3 dies and a tube notcher. Then maybe convert it to Hydraulic like this http://www.mindspring.com/~jayk5/bender/

Here's another hydraulic conversion based on the one above. http://reference.toolandfab.com/writeups/hydrobender_webpage/body.htm

I've priced out some of these parts and it looks like the hyrdo conversion would cost about another $700 to $800 with all new hydraulic parts.

Yeah the only problem with a mechanical one is that you have to bolt it to a concrete floor or very sturdy workbench bolted to the floor or wall. With hydraulics you can have the whole setup on a cart.

I don't know what I want to do. I'm thinking I'll buy a mechanical bender and converting it to an air over hydro setup on a cart with the idea to convert it to full hydraulics later. I change my mind about this everyday.

Wish I could just buy this!!! :eek:

- hate to think how much it costs

- just as well machines dont feed on beer and sauerkraut

Last edited:
I vote for the gottrikes.com bender. I purchased the plans and have been very happy with them. I like the idea of a bender that works on a vertical plane. It takes up less garage space when the tube swings upward instead of across the shop, also you do not need a degree wheel to measure your angles a simple magnetic angle meter will work.

I have found some neat DIY tools on the pirate4x4.com site. If you need a tube roll bender for more radiused bends look there at the Harbor Freight roll bender threads. Troy at Swag Offroad makes a set of dies that improves the tool and fills in all the missing dies that HF leaves out. I give the HF bender and the Swag pieces a 10 out of 10 for the money. Plus, most magazines have 20% off coupon these days.

Just my .02cents. Good Luck,
Eric

Back