Turn Signal Assembly

tommytwohands

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi there,

I regret to say that after a few months of riding my bike has gone down...kickstand implemented in soft ground at a campsite yielded a fallen Heritage Special after a few hours! My buddies flattened beer cans and placed it under the stand - alas all I saw them doing was drinking the beers

Front, left turn signal hanging by its wire. The screw, #8, is out and freely moving. The piece of metal that wraps around the headlamp is loose and away from the headlight as well as part #2, the collar. So basically, the assembly is apart along the wire with rubber grommet pieces still fastened in place. Seems that the nut has fallen off the screw end within the headlamp.
So long story short, does this screw hold the entire assembly together when it's fastened properly inside the headlamp and inside the turn signal? Or could I use JB weld epoxy to attach everything back together? Can I pop the headlamp front off without concerning taking it off or removing the other turn signal on the right side?

Screen Shot 2022-04-04 at 3.36.07 PM.png

Still learning - always somewhat timid to approach a new situation without a second opinion.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2022-04-04 at 3.08.02 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-04 at 3.08.02 PM.png
    472.1 KB · Views: 80
  • Screen Shot 2022-04-04 at 3.07.53 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2022-04-04 at 3.07.53 PM.png
    471.2 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Screw the hollow threaded rod back into the turn signal housing, reconnect the nut and ring washer inside the bucket. Should be good to go.
Sometimes the bucket will get distorted where the rod goes through or the ears that support the bucket off the downtubes will get bent a bit.
Put it together and see if the turn signal stalks are still at a right angle off the bucket.
Regarding the headlamp front? You mean the chrome trim ring that holds the lamp in? If so there are two screws that hold that in place, located around 4 and 8 o'clock on the bottom.
Editing for clarity's sake......

Last edited:
Screw the hollow threaded rod back into the turn signal housing, reconnect the nut and ring washer inside the bucket. Should be good to go.
Sometimes the bucket will get distorted where the rod goes through or the ears that support the bucket off the downtubes will get bent a bit.
Put it together and see if the turn signal stalks are still at a right angle off the bucket.
Regarding the headlamp front? You mean the chrome trim ring that holds the lamp in? If so there are two screws that hold that in place, located around 4 and 8 o'clock on the bottom.
Editing for clarity's sake......
Okay, I'll take another look and report back. I wasn't sure how to access the bucket where the wiring and nut would be. I guess another look will help me figure that out. Thanks for the response, gives me a vote of confidence.

OK, understanding your depth of knowledge on these things helps.....
Removing the two screws on the bottom of the headlamps chrome bulb retention ring will allow the bottom to come out. The ring will still be held in place at the top by a section of the headlight bucket designed to do just that. Lift up and then off. Unplug the lamps electrical connector and then place the lamp aside. Leaving it dangling from he bucket by that connector is a good way to dent your front fender when it releases unexpectedly and falls.......
Reassemble in reverse order.

Back