turn signal flasher replacement needed?

doubletrouble

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Having an issue with the turn signal flasher on my 81 H. The right side turn signal blinks fine and the left side just causes the flasher to buzz without any light up. Time to replace the Flasher? Could an electrical short cause the buzzing? Just called a yamaha dealer...$120. for the part(shipped from Japan)
Anybody know a part number for a replacement flasher that will work? :shrug:The original part is marked fu257cd 12.8v 27w

thanks,
DT

From Advanced Auto Parts. $10
0723091249.jpg

Side by side comparison.
0723091249a.jpg

I have my turn signaler canceler removed. This flasher has two terminals. Works perfectly.

Hi DT
Sounds more like a wiring problem if one side works ok, check earths etc...
Are all the bulbs ok? What is the wattage of the bulbs? The stock flasher will not flash if the bulbs are less than 27 watts each or if one has blown (a safety feature to show you one has blown)
You can use a 552 flasher from any auto supply store for about $3 but the safety feature will not work because the 552 will flash even if a bulb is blown.

Kev

- good advice above

- or better still for your charging system, convert to LED while your at it-blinkers, tail and stop lights

off to check the bulbs.. recent front sreering bearings replaced so maybe something got messed up.. I hate chasing down electrical issues..takes me forever! Just venting a little...
I picked the bike this past fall and the turn signals worked then.

I switched to a 552 flasher..I found out a two blade flasher can be installed in two different positions. Wasn't sure which way was correct,but put it in and turned the key on,hit the turn signal and blew a fuse instantly.
I haven't picked up the meter yet but does the flasher affect continuity while testing of the turn signals?
DT

On my 77 I have removed the turn signal cancel device on the advice of more experienced XS650 owners as they are unreliable. I used the flasher above and used it plugged into two wires. The wire from the canceller was not used and maybe this will help but as stated above you might have a short. Try unplugging them all and plugging them in one at a time to see which trips the fuse. Mine had issues with the insulation being chafed on the right front where it exits into the headlight bucket. Maybe this will help.
1981XS650_wiring_fixed.jpg

If you need it bigger: http://s135.photobucket.com/albums/q148/pumps32/?action=view&current=1981XS650_wiring_fixed.jpg

Hi Guys,

On advice from RG, among others, I just replaced my three-prong flasher with the two-prong unit, and it works just fine. I also wanted to eliminate the cancel function, and it did, just by using the two-prong unit.

I like having longer-flashing lights for use with the sidecar, because I'm not going so fast, and the only issue was before I got the indicator flashers also working, because I'd go down the road with my blinkers on until someone let me know by honking....it became quite a joke, but now I have the center console with indicators, so ---- problem solved!

Would the 552 flasher make aftermarket turn signals blink? I recently bought smaller cat eye style turn signals and after hooking them up, they just stay lit, they won't blink. I was told this is because the stock flasher requires 27 watt bulbs to actually work...

Would the 552 flasher make aftermarket turn signals blink? I recently bought smaller cat eye style turn signals and after hooking them up, they just stay lit, they won't blink. I was told this is because the stock flasher requires 27 watt bulbs to actually work...

Use the "Search" in the upper left corner. Read through a bunch of the threads, and if its still not clear, come back and ask more questions.

Back