turn signal help

80650xs

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
as the title suggests, my turn signals are not working. bulbs and grounds are all good. brand new battery. 1980 xs650.
now I've been running around the bike with the test light this morning and here is what I have so far.

- key on and turn signal switch pushed to the left, turn indicator light on dash is illuminated

- starting at the rear, I have 12v of power at the green plug, and at the light. if I jump 12v to the turn signal wire it lights up, but no flash.

- at the front left, I have no power at the green plug. 12v jumped and the bulb illuminates.

-- On the right side, I have no power at the front or rear brown connectors, and the dash light is not illuminated.

I have searched and saw the auto canceling unit could be the culprit, but I must be looking in the wrong place or my bike doesn't have one. potential broken solder joint within the switch?
Except for someone removing the blinkers at some point, the bike is untouched and there is no botched wiring.

Yes, it's pretty common for the solder connection to break inside the switch assembly. I had to repair mine when I got it, twice, lol. My first attempt wasn't very good and didn't hold long. Also, the stock flasher is designed to work with stock bulbs which I think are 23 watts. Install aftermarket signals with different watt bulbs and they won't flash, neither will L.E.D.s.

I have the factory turn signals with the recommended bulbs. I cleaned all the grounds. Now when I turn left the right side lights up, and an annoying buzzing sound comes from under the tank

I swapped wires around so right is green and left is brown. The left side works just fine now, but still nothing on the right. I will pull the switch apart tomorrow as I suspect a bad solder joint is to blame. I am guessing that the buzzing sound coming from under the tank is the auto cancel unit? from what I have read it seems like it is best to disconnect it?

The left side works just fine now, but still nothing on the right.
Strange but I have more than twice experienced that situation.
A low battery does contribute to that if the engine is off. So, with your engine running do the turn signals work better?
.. "buzzing" noise I'm not familiar with but yes, the flasher unit is between the coils under the tank.
Silver aluminum cylinder? 3 prongs.

Back