Turn Signal Issue - Bullet style

Socopunk

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Back working on the bike again. Had a question.

I removed the floppy rear turn signals and replaced with smaller bullet style signals. The rears look and work great. The problem is on the front signals. I pulled the signals from the headlight, but the new signals don't have a threaded post long enough to reach into the headlight. No problem. I decided to mount them high on the front forks and put a bolt in the side of the headlight to fill hole. New bullets have a red and black wire. re-wired red to power and ground to ground. Lights come on, but don't blink. Where can I ground the new bullets? To the same spot as the stock signals, even thought they are no longer there? Is there a draw issue with a bulb that is 12V 10/5W 3T? I did buy the front and rear bullets from different places, so I will check the wattage on the rears. The rest of the wiring is stock. Thanks in advance for the help.

Ok, do the new lights have one or two element bulbs? Check all four lights. From what you listed a 10/5w 3t sounds like a two element bulb. The red wire might be hot for the running light, the black hot for the rtuirnsignal, ground through the body of the light.
Now the stock flasher is designed to operate with the current draw of two 27 watt bulbs plus a 3 watt indicator bulb.
If your new lights draw less than the stock bulbs then you need to replace the stock flasher for a two prong flasher that is not load sensitive. Plug it into the stock flasher socket so the two prongs go into the socket where the brown wire and the brown/white wire are. I see your working on a 73 TX650. It has a third wire, black, it is a ground wire. It won't be used by the two prong flasher.
With your front lights mounted try unhooking them from the bikes wiring. Use a jumper wire from the battery positive, Touch this jumper to each wire on the light. One wire may light the light dim, the other bright. If so you have two element bulbs. You can hook the dimmer wire to the lighting circuit. Between the headlight on/off switch and the dimmer switch. This way the dimmer light will act as a running light. Hook the brighter wire to the turn signal wiring. This way as the turns flash the light will get brighter as they flash.
Trty the same on the rear lights. If they have two element bulbs you can hook them the same as the front. One thing on the rear If the turns light as running lights the lense needs to be red.
Leo

Leo, thanks for the reply.

You're right my issue is the draw. The rear signals are one filament 12v27w with ground to body of light. The new ones I purchased are 12v10/5w with two filaments. Sounds like those aren't going to work with the stock flasher. If I get the new 2 prong flasher with no load sensitivity can I run the 12v10/5w up front and keep the 12v27w singles in the back? My best bet is to find the same 12v27w single signals for up front as well, but I can't remember where I got them.

With the right flasher what you have will work.
You might want to see if a bigger bulb will fit in your front lights. 10/5 won't be real bright. Something more in the 20/10 or there abouts.
Leo.

Back