Turning a vacuum petcock into a block-off plate. Have you done it?

CoconutPete

1979 XS650 Special
Reaction score
I am blocking off the petcock on one side. I have steel and could make a plate, but considering the amount of cutting/grinding and the fact that the old extra petcock is the same shape already and just sitting there - has me thinking .....

Has anyone chopped one up and used that as a basis for the block-off plate? Do you have any pics?

The easy way to block off one side of a late tank is a lot simpler than hacking up a petcock. Get a piece of 1/4"x1" aluminum bar stock, cut off a 2-1/2" piece, punch two marks 46 mm. apart, and drill two 1/4" holes. Finish the corners to suit yourself, cut a gasket, clean the sealing surface on the tank, and bolt 'er up with Gasgacinch on both sides of the gasket. And yes, a paper gasket will work just fine as long as the sealant isn't fuel permeable.

You can hack the bottom off of an old petcock and fill the two holes with J.B. weld for a blank plate, you can also pick up a Briggs and Stratton simple fuel shutoff valve and insert it into one of the holes- again with J.B. weld as a sealant for a functioning petcock. You lose the reserve function, of course.
Works fine.

Back