Two stroke memories

Mailman

Hardly a Guru
Top Contributor
Reaction score
If you grew up in the sixties and seventies as I did, and you were at all interested in motorcycles you couldn't help but have been interested in two strokes. Sure the big British twins and Harley's were always around, but for affordability, performance , availability, you couldn't beat the Japanese two strokes. My brother was eight years older than me and when I was just a kid, he had a Suzuki X-6 Hustler 250 twin. This bike was considered a real performance machine in its day.
image.jpeg
When I was twelve years old , I learned to ride and love motorcycles on the original Yamaha DT250. Even with lights and fully street legal, it was a true lightweight dirt bike and was a marvel of performance and reliability.
image.jpeg
When I became old enough to drive and got my drivers license , the first street machine I lusted after was the Kawasaki H-1 500.
image.jpeg
Alas it was out of reach for a high school boy working a minimum wage job, so for me my very first street vehicle of any kind was a used 73 Yamaha RD350. My parents were mortified , in their mind I might as well have bought a Harley chopper, they thought I was on the highway to hell.
image.jpeg
That little Yamaha was fast, smoked like a pig, and had an appetite for spark plugs. I carried a spare set under the seat and many times had to change plugs on the side of the road.

Some other two stroke street bikes that I always admired are ,
The Suzuki air cooled triples, the 380 and 550
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
And their twin cylinder brother the T500. I think this is one of the most underrated classic two strokes, it didn't have the sexy exhaust pipes and Ram Air of its siblings, but it was legendary as a bullit proof, dependable street bike.
image.jpeg
And let's not forget the enduros, Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki all made fine enduros in a full range of displacement. These were often the entry level bikes for a whole generation of new riders.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
I loved that whole era, I still prowl Craigslist looking to see what's out there. It was an exciting time to be young. So did you own any street legal two strokes? Got any photos? I know Yamadude does!

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    242.9 KB · Views: 345
I had the little brother to that DT250. In high school mine was a 1973 CT3 175 (no pics- this was pre-digital). That little bike was the gateway drug to all that followed; air and joy in my lungs, some shenanigans, a little road rash, and a love for sweeping turns.

My first real motorcycle was a 1967 305 cc Yamaha big bear. My younger brother owned it, but it was in various pieces. I bought it and put all the pieces together, but the engine ran very hot. I traced it down to bad crankshaft seals. The vacuum in the crankcase was drawing in extra air, which made a lean mixture and high temps are the result. I then had the cylinders bored and new pistons added. After that it ran perfectly, and was a real fun bike to ride.
I sold it when I moved on to a Yamaha XS500C.

1967 305 Scrambler YM2C.jpg

My biggest 2 stroke smoke memory is from late 70's early 80's Las Vegas. A guy in the barracks had a race modified Kawi H-2 750. Retimed ports, expansion chambers, electronic iggy, Dunstall fairing and more. Well one night after mid night chow a bunch of us were in the parking lot talking bikes and racing. He brought it out and lit it up. Smoked the rear tire and the exhaust noise and smoke from the pipes made it a good night! The guy said he raced up to 2ltr cars and won most of the time.

My uncle, (turning 70 this year) is the original owner of a 1971 H1-500 Kawasaki Mach III which he bought new in 1971. He traded a 1967 Triumph 500 Tiger for it. I think the retail price in Canada for the Kawi in 1971 was either $1095 or $1195.

I rode it once or twice and it was pretty ordinary below about 4500 RPM, but above 5K - HOLY SH!T :yikes:

The noise from below the tank became alarming, the front wheel started skipping off the ground and everything behind me...simply...disappeared in a cloud of dense blue smoke.

It was truly, a wild, uncivilized machine that lived up to its reputation as:
  • a very peaky 60 HP engine;
  • in a 30 HP frame;
  • with 12 HP brakes.
Don't get me wrong, it's not that I didn't like the H1-500 - but I had traded my Uncle Dave a ride on my 1979 Suzuki GS850G shaftie (a big, heavy, smooth, powerful, torquey, cushy tourer with excellent triple disk hydraulic brakes) for his H1 - and it was quite a shocker.

Anyhow, he still has it, and he rides it a few miles every year - and it has never been wrecked, rebuilt or dropped.

Last edited:
I never had a two-stroke, but I met a guy in a wheelchair who lost half his limbs on an RD350. That's the bike for me!

RT360.jpg

I had a few 2-smoke dirt bikes, this Yamaha RT360 was my favorite. Time was I was looking hard for one to fix up, but they're not common and the ones you find are either ragged out or priced into the stratosphere.

finished.jpg

I still have this '74 Suzuki GT550, tho it's for sale. Had a new '73 Yamaha RD350 back in the day, another bike I was looking for. Again either basket cases or ridiculous prices. Altho recently, since I've given up losing money on bikes, I've spotted a couple I'd have jumped on 2-3 years ago. The RD was a blast to ride, but that was 40+ years and about as many pounds ago...

I have lost my old photos but I loved my RD250B. It was colored maroon and smoked like a steam engine when the revs got up past 6000. You couldn't go anywhere without a spare set of plugs. Then I graduated to an XS6501B. It was 10 years old when I got it and colored orange with rototiller bars. Clearly they were not original because the brake hoses were technical too short for it.

The bikes I still think are cool are GT750s and Z900s. Those GT550 ran well, I remember watching him thrash it on a rod when I was about 1/2 mile away observing. By brother-in-law had an RD400, blue with a coffin shaped tank. He let me ride it before I had a license and I could change up fine but then bring the bike to a stop to change down and start all over again.

If you grew up in the sixties and seventies as I did, and you were at all interested in motorcycles you couldn't help but have been interested in two strokes. Sure the big British twins and Harley's were always around, but for affordability, performance , availability, you couldn't beat the Japanese two strokes. My brother was eight years older than me and when I was just a kid, he had a Suzuki X-6 Hustler 250 twin. This bike was considered a real performance machine in its day.
View attachment 104623
When I was twelve years old , I learned to ride and love motorcycles on the original Yamaha DT250. Even with lights and fully street legal, it was a true lightweight dirt bike and was a marvel of performance and reliability.
View attachment 104624
When I became old enough to drive and got my drivers license , the first street machine I lusted after was the Kawasaki H-1 500.
View attachment 104625
Alas it was out of reach for a high school boy working a minimum wage job, so for me my very first street vehicle of any kind was a used 73 Yamaha RD350. My parents were mortified , in their mind I might as well have bought a Harley chopper, they thought I was on the highway to hell.
View attachment 104626
That little Yamaha was fast, smoked like a pig, and had an appetite for spark plugs. I carried a spare set under the seat and many times had to change plugs on the side of the road.

Some other two stroke street bikes that I always admired are ,
The Suzuki air cooled triples, the 380 and 550
View attachment 104627
View attachment 104628
And their twin cylinder brother the T500. I think this is one of the most underrated classic two strokes, it didn't have the sexy exhaust pipes and Ram Air of its siblings, but it was legendary as a bullit proof, dependable street bike.
View attachment 104634
And let's not forget the enduros, Yamaha, Suzuki and Kawasaki all made fine enduros in a full range of displacement. These were often the entry level bikes for a whole generation of new riders.
View attachment 104631
View attachment 104632
View attachment 104633
View attachment 104635
View attachment 104636
I loved that whole era, I still prowl Craigslist looking to see what's out there. It was an exciting time to be young. So did you own any street legal two strokes? Got any photos? I know Yamadude does!
Love your compilation of two strokes.

I believe I am repeating myself, but its worth saying again that the DT250 you were riding was, to me, was one of the great classic two-strokes of the era IMHO. I would have been in heaven as a kid riding one of those beauties. Met a guy on a trail couple years ago on one; he wanted my Kaw F11, and I wanted his green DT, but he never called me back about the deal. Someday, someday.....

After the minibike, I started on a 60's era Yamaha 100cc (or was it an 80cc?) 2-stroke street bike at 14 which I rode on the trail all year round. Here I am with my Then Came Bronson watch cap, which I still wear. Do I look happy, with that leather jacket and all?

photo.JPG

Moved on to a 305 Scrambler, then Triumph Bonnevilles.
The two stroke passion got re-invigorated in about 1990 when I bought some land, and thus had room to bang around on a dirt bike. Brought a small Cat bulldozer in, and built some jumps and a small hillclimb, and found a Yamaha DT360 stock. Looked like this, cant find my own pictures of it.

300px-Yamaha-DT360.jpg

What a bike for the backyard ! Of course, I should have kept it, but a neighbor really wanted it, and I wanted a '74 TT500 I saw at a local UHaul place. So, we rode together for a while, and I got to at least stay in touch with the DT.

I've posted pics of my Kaw F11 before, but here's another. I really love this bike which I found a couple years ago for $1100, 5K on the speedo. I've done a bit of resto work, but has original paint.

EBAY.5 004.JPG

Haven't done much to the '75 RD350 but clean it and dismantle to get to the carbs, as I'm in a lull awaiting an answer from the DMV about my request for a title (got none). Its been 4 frustrating months. I have a sense that its gonna run, eventually.

Got a '74 TY250 Trials bike 8 years ago, intending to race Vintage Trials. There's a big series here in NY, with a number of nice tracks. I got involved in other things, so its a resto project, now, in line with a few others. It has quite a heritage, as you know.

Attachments

• DSCN3067.JPG
    DSCN3067.JPG
    207.2 KB · Views: 337
Last edited:
My first real motorcycle was a 1967 305 cc Yamaha big bear. My younger brother owned it, but it was in various pieces. I bought it and put all the pieces together, but the engine ran very hot. I traced it down to bad crankshaft seals. The vacuum in the crankcase was drawing in extra air, which made a lean mixture and high temps are the result. I then had the cylinders bored and new pistons added. After that it ran perfectly, and was a real fun bike to ride.
I sold it when I moved on to a Yamaha XS500C.

View attachment 104651
I would have traded my Honda 305 Scrambler for your beautiful Yamaha 305 in a heartbeat ! Love those upswept pipes.

When I had my RD350 in high school , one of my rowdy friends didn't own a street bike but he was a very good motocross racer since he was a young kid. He asked if he could ride my bike and I said sure. I thought he would zip around the block, instead he rolled out to the middle of the street and stood up on the pegs, revved the crap out of it and dumped the clutch producing this huge stand up wheelie which he proceeded to ride all the way to the end of the street. I was amazed, flabbergasted, and pissed all at the same time!
I had no idea that bike was capable of such antics and I certainly couldn't do that!
Such skill that kid had, a completely unfamiliar bike and he just ripped it!

That kid in the embassy is amazing. The shear athleticism and skill (not to mention courage - or idiocy....) is remarkable.

I can see doing something like that after tons of practice - but doing it the very FIRST time....wow. Sort of like standing at the top of a 100M olympic ski-jump - I'd be thinking, "Pete, you really do not have to do this....just turn around and step away from the edge"

Back