Uhh .. What happened to this tank? Is it an XS650 tank?

CoconutPete

1979 XS650 Special
Reaction score
I bought this tank on the forums. I looked at the pictures and though it looked like a normal XS650 Special tank. The description said "dent free" and single petcock so I thought it was a suitable replacement for my dual petcock dented tank so I jumped on it.

Now I have the tank and it looks like there's a giant dent in the front of it. It's almost too centered to be accidental, can anyone identify what the hell is going on in this picture? The tank in question in front of my tank on my bike.

Attachments

• IMG_5681.jpg
    IMG_5681.jpg
    211.7 KB · Views: 372
It's there and upside down. You're right, that's a very weird dent. Hard to imagine what would cause that by accident.

BTW, I've also had problems with photos being rotated. Not always, just sometimes. No idea why.

Looks like that dent is intentional and was painted over. Paint is too uniform for it to have been accidental.

Here's a better picture of that tank. It's no dent. I was under the assumption it was from an 83. I got it with a basket case and listed it as an 83. My mistake. But I really don't think its a dent.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    144.5 KB · Views: 392
Nice looking dent, that is, if you like dents. My two Honda 750C's have nice factory dents on both sides. Get a longer seat and live with it. That dent is in the rear, not the front, that is..........unless you put your tanks on backwards.

Scott

Maybe one of the PO's had a reeeeeeeeeeeeeally big.................................................hernia.....
....or a banana seat...
....or she was pregnant...:shrug::laughing:

ok, I'm done now...

I bought this tank on the forums. I looked at the pictures and though it looked like a normal XS650 Special tank. The description said "dent free" and single petcock so I thought it was a suitable replacement for my dual petcock dented tank so I jumped on it.

Now I have the tank and it looks like there's a giant dent in the front of it. It's almost too centered to be accidental, can anyone identify what the hell is going on in this picture? The tank in question in front of my tank on my bike.

Dents are free, It's fixing them that is costly:bike:

It would be interesting to close the cap over something that would seal it well, plumb the petcock to a compressor, hide behind some armor and fill that thing to 60 psi. That's a lot of dent though.

Scott

Back