UK Bobber Build thread

Paulrxs650

XS650 Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi All,

Finally took the plunge and bought an '83 Heritage to make my own bobber and I thought I would post up my progress for comments, inspriration and general input!

Here it is the day I got it home - looks good on the surface and thats about it!
100_2439.jpg

On the way to being ebayed
100_2442.jpg

Further along:
100_2484.jpg

Back end off ready for cleaning up
100_2543.jpg

A little bit of dressing up
100_2544.jpg

100_2545.jpg

My idea around bracing - maybe?
100_2555.jpg

TC Bros hardtail
100_2546.jpg

Gorgeous Peanut Wassell tank from Lowbrow - Need a new top engine mount now!!
100_2547.jpg

This might work!
100_2549.jpg

Yep, that'll do the job, I think!
100_2550.jpg

Footpeg brackets, perhaps?
100_2548.jpg

Rear brake pivot - thought i'd include a grease nipple too!
100_2553.jpg

Mocked up and tacked together an exhaust just to get a feel for things
100_2552.jpg

Next steps - make a seat and get some feel for how it will sit!:bike:

It looks Awesome :thumbsup: I wish I was that far along, Man keep up the good work, and I thought I had a small work space looks like your in a shed, But hey we gotta work with what we got! My Dinning room is gonna get a workout this winter, after i buy some barn type stall mats to protect my hardwood floors :laugh:
I'm gonna keep watching this build :)
Dave

Hi
Thanks for the comments! Yeah I am in a shed, it's quite a big one with my three other bikes, lathe, drill press, welders etc but it is very cosy! With winter coming and temp down to -2 already - ill take cosy! I would go for the back room of the cottage but I think "her that must be obeyed" would freak out! My shed does have a stove and a fridge! Secret beer!

Hey!, I got one of those "her that must be obeyed" too. Looks good Paul, your brake pivot is cleaner than mine.My pivot is a little farther back than your is.I had to reposition my inner arm to the bottom to work with the factory master cylinder.Now I'll have to clean mine up more after seeing yours.Is that a Tc Bros exhaust kit?Looks killer.

Last edited:
Hi Johnt33! Thanks for the comments! Yes it is a TC Bros exhaust kit. I was impressed by it - a lot more sturdy tubing than I had expected! I just worked out the positioning after I mounted the peg

Looking good Paul. I'm guessing from the number plate in your shed that you are into your landies as well?

Never owned one but lots of buddies into them.
Had the two-wheel equivalent for a while - Armstrong MT500!

The Armstrong was a b***h to start when warm, otherwise it was bulletproof: effectively had a pma so would run with no battery. The rear wheel needed only a tommy bar to release the axle nut, then the chain/sprocket/brake drum remained fixed to the swingarm, the cam belt sits on the side of the engine in its own housing and if it breaks there are no clearance issues with valves and pistons. It really was designed to be squaddie-proof! I've got a modified klr650 for rugged riding and off-road so the MT had to go. The up-side was though that the funds then kick-started the rebuild on the XS!

Thanks, yeah, its just solid 7/16 bar which I put a radius in, ground down and fitted. I thought it gives it a nice sweeping looking whilst giving some ridgidity.

Hi

I believe it was 1/4" or 6mm plate. Just some I had lying around but actually works very well. Just made a template for the holes and cut and machined both plates together.
Got the seat pan made and mocked up. I'll post some pics up. Need a mudguard / fender for the rear if anyone has an idea where to get one that actually fits

So a bit more done today - I found a petrol cap whic, by chance fits perfectly to the peanut tank - Result!

100_2568.jpg

Ground down the 47mm core plug and with a smear of sealant knocked it into place - really pleased with the results (pictures not great)

100_2564.jpg

Got the seat pan done and a bracket made. Welded the pivot to the frame and mocked up the rear springs. I'll need to machine some bungs next weekend.

100_2569.jpg

Go the right hand side exhaust tacked up too - please with the look!

100_2573.jpg

Back