Uk or import

Re-read the whole Page #6
A closer look reveals the redline on the rev counter has been painted by hand up to the 7.5k mark so I believe it is from an RD350 as is the dash centre which explains the missing brake lining lamp.
20220928_200207.jpg

Well the guy has been into that gauge. Will need to have a good look at it to see how he has done it and how good was it done. .......I posted a link to the gauge thread that is a "how to"" on the 76-83 gauges. The 74/75 gauges are metal instead of plastic but the same principle applies when prizing off the bezel.

On some, (not others), of the diagrams i have looked at, they show the 75 as having the neutral light in the rec-counter and brake light on the dash..............Never seen one before till yours.

On the center console plate. Some one on here took theirs off did some panel beating and skim coated with a bog/filler then painted it. Came out good

They are glued on so if the gauges are taken out a hairdrier or heat gun, (not to hot), should work to get it off.

Looking at the availability and price of a 650b rev counter I think I'll live with it as it is. Some of theses alterations and other bits lead m to think the low mileage may be incorrect, I'm not bothered though as it's possibly true of many 47+ year old bikes.

It's not a big deal. As long a things work, just have a look at the wiring in the headlight bucket make sure everything is as it should be.

The speedo will need to be worked on as that face plate will disintegrate

It's not a big deal. As long a things work, just have a look at the wiring in the headlight bucket make sure everything is as it should be.

The speedo will need to be worked on as that face plate will disintegrate
Thse face has a crack right through it, I can find decals to be applied but no replacement faces

I scored this set of clocks for my XS650B project a couple of weeks back.
Off eBay and from a dealer too.
Just over £80 all in, and all seems good, although the tacho has been opened at some point, possibly to replace the glass.
The broken off trip knob, which was cunningly overlooked and not mentioned in the vendors description, is just that, no damage to the speedo internals.
I managed to undo the little crosshead screw and pull off the remains of the trip knob.
You can still get some of the suppossedly rare bits for quite reasonable prices IF you are prepared to be patient and wait for a bargain to come up.
20220929_210213.jpg
20220929_204731.jpg

They look like a result! You've won me over with keeping my 650B standard Grewth, the only thing I've tweaked so far is putting more UK spec bars on as the U S while comfortable were getting a bit too chopper for me. I just need to sort the over length brake line and the throttle cables.

I'm sure you don't need that rev counter!

They look like a result! You've won me over with keeping my 650B standard Grewth
Fine advice from a man planning to build an XS1B Street Scrambler !
To be fair that is my "spare" XS1B which is just a collection of other peoples leftover spare parts which could theoretically become a motorcycle some day.
My "good" XS1B will be restored to 99% stardard condition.

It's just a sticker though so the original faces have to be sanded back and used as a backing. I could araldite the crack and sand smooth once set I guess.

Well you have to make up your mind............Refurbishing/restoring costs money. Don't want to buy them from Diablo then keep looking on ebay......one will turn up one day. Thing is 75 face plates are a stand alone year. or a later model face plate could have been used.

Uk and Europe didn't get the XS1 or a 1B or the 74TXA, (first of the 447 motors). The first model they got was an XS1F, same year as a 1B but a couple of small exterior differences. If you got an XS1 then the resale value should be good but parts are getting hard to find and may off set any gains for resale.

The Euro models from 75, (553), got different internals, (piston con-rods), than the rest of the world. Also the front forks and brake rotors are different to US and the rest of the world. An import from a 75-79 standard that needs some of the front end replacing, could mean that parts would have to be imported. Engine internals can be got from Heiden Tuning, (pistons, con-rods, bigbore 750 kits), and Cruzinimage, (pistons and 700 big bore kits).

I have detailed most of the differences in this thread.
https://www.xs650.com/threads/xs650...workshop-manuals-and-other-information.30569/
Uk and Europe didn't get the XS1 or a 1B or the 74TXA, (first of the 447 motors). The first model they got was an XS1F, same year as a 1B but a couple of small exterior differences. If
Maybe none of my business but just clarifying -
UK started with the XS2, and did not get the XS1F.
Some of Europe got the XS1F but not the UK.

Well you have to make up your mind............Refurbishing/restoring costs money. Don't want to buy them from Diablo then keep looking on ebay......one will turn up one day. Thing is 75 face plates are a stand alone year. or a later model face plate could have been used.
Oh I know it will cost money, I'm just exploring the options before splashing the cash.

It's just a sticker though so the original faces have to be sanded back and used as a backing. I could araldite the crack and sand smooth once set I guess.
Or you could buy some opaque GRP sheet and cut new speedo and tacho faces from that.
Seems like a lot of work to me.
Another option is to buy another damaged speedo, and salvage the face from that.

Any ideas what this unused plug is? It's not connected and as yet I've not worked out where the other end disappears to.
20221001_135806.jpg

That may be the dreaded "mystery plug" found on many mid '70's models. IDK if its actual purpose has been established. What wire colors ya got going to those pins?

That may be the dreaded "mystery plug" found on many mid '70's models. IDK if its actual purpose has been established. What wire colors ya got going to those pins?
I'm not sure to be honest but there was a good 5-6 wires there, initially I thought it could be the end of my unconnected brake lining sensor until I saw all those wires

Back