Uk or import

Dom

XS650 Junkie
Top Contributor
Reaction score
I'm looking for a 70s xs to restore/modify is there any huge downside to a US import as there seems to be a fair amount about.

A U.S. import is probably going to be your best bet.
Alegedly an original UK spec bike in original condition is worth more than a grey import, but what the hell, if you're going to mutilate it anyway - who cares ?

A U.S. import is probably going to be your best bet.
Alegedly an original UK spec bike in original condition is worth more than a grey import, but what the hell, if you're going to mutilate it anyway - who cares ?
Exactly mate, that's why I'd rather one that isn't a UK or pristine example. I'm not setting my budget for the bike itself very high so I'm a bit limited as to what's available

Uk and Europe didn't get the XS1 or a 1B or the 74TXA, (first of the 447 motors). The first model they got was an XS1F, same year as a 1B but a couple of small exterior differences. If you got an XS1 then the resale value should be good but parts are getting hard to find and may off set any gains for resale.

The Euro models from 75, (553), got different internals, (piston con-rods), than the rest of the world. Also the front forks and brake rotors are different to US and the rest of the world. An import from a 75-79 standard that needs some of the front end replacing, could mean that parts would have to be imported. Engine internals can be got from Heiden Tuning, (pistons, con-rods, bigbore 750 kits), and Cruzinimage, (pistons and 700 big bore kits).

I have detailed most of the differences in this thread.
https://www.xs650.com/threads/xs650...workshop-manuals-and-other-information.30569/

Last edited:
Thanks that's worth considering if I go for an import which may be the only way with my budget or without selling something else!

Red tailed Black cockatoo in your avatar? I was playing with a young hand reared rtb when I collected my Jardines a few months back.

Any thoughts on the xs650 on an auction on Ebay currently at £710? It seems to have more than a few issues but if the price stays low is it worth a punt?

I'm looking for a 70s xs to restore/modify is there any huge downside to a US import as there seems to be a fair amount about.
If you are modifying, buy an import. US prices will undercut any UK machine even when import taxes are taken in to account.
Originality is immaterial in your case. My bike was an import and has continued to be modified during my ownership.

If you are modifying, buy an import. US prices will undercut any UK machine even when import taxes are taken in to account.
Originality is immaterial in your case. My bike was an import and has continued to be modified during my ownership.
That was what I wondered, I'd also rather not mess with a decent standard UK bike

I'd rather people didn't mess with a decent, standard US market bike either.
It sort of rankles with me that a motorcycle has survived intact and unmolested for 40+ years in the US.
It then gets shipped to the UK and three weeks later its frame gets sawn in half.
There are plenty of abandoned projects, badly modified, or just stripped down into a million parts bikes out there to go at.
But the proverbial "blank sheet of canvas" seems to have an irresistable attraction.
So another perfectly restorable 650 Special gets chopped up.

I'd rather people didn't mess with a decent, standard US market bike either.
It sort of rankles with me that a motorcycle has survived intact and unmolested for 40+ years in the US.
It then gets shipped to the UK and three weeks later its frame gets sawn in half.
There are plenty of abandoned projects, badly modified, or just stripped down into a million parts bikes out there to go at.
But the proverbial "blank sheet of canvas" seems to have an irresistable attraction.
Fair comment Grewth. I agree any bike in original clean condition should be preserved. As you say there are tons of usable machines in the US which would make a great candidate for Dom's project.

Well I can't stop people from buying nice tidy original bikes and then chopping them up.
The 650 Special seems to be the favourite candidate because firstly they fetch less at auction than a "standard", and secondly because they already have a 16" rear wheel fitted.
The upside for me is that all the good parts that get junked in the process of building the ultra cool lowrider or whatever usually end up on eBay and sell very cheaply.
Forget about DK Spares prices, what your 650 Special seat will fetch in the real world is probably a third of that.
So my loft and shed are stuffed full of good Special parts - I've got enough to last me the rest of my lifetime already.

Well I can't stop people from buying nice tidy original bikes and then chopping them up.
The 650 Special seems to be the favourite candidate because firstly they fetch less at auction than a "standard", and secondly because they already have a 16" rear wheel fitted.
The upside for me is that all the good parts that get junked in the process of building the ultra cool lowrider or whatever usually end up on eBay and sell very cheaply.
Forget about DK Spares prices, what your 650 Special seat will fetch in the real world is probably a third of that.
So my loft and shed are stuffed full of good Special parts - I've got enough to last me the rest of my lifetime already.
Honestly mate I'm not intending using a tidy bike but would rather one that isn't a rust bucket. A US import or former US bike in tatty condition at the right price would be fine by me. They did make over half a million so it's not like its a rare model even now

Not sure how it works now you are out of EU
But there are sometimes problems importing vehicles.
The paperwork needs to be clean otherwise it can turn up in the computer and the MOT man says --Not Yours Stolen I Confiscate it.
Goodbye

There was also the pitfall if the vehicle imported differed in some sense . To The ones already in the Country.
I have many Years ago heard of Honda Goldwings differed in USA and never was allowed onto the street.
Here

Also heard of a Kawasaki from Germany to Sweden with a replaced motor to the next years motor.
Not allowed.

These are old stories ..But 5 -10 years ago the rule was within Europe

Whatever you do do not leave a country with a motorcycle without being damn sure you have the correct paperwork

I like Specials. My garage is full of them. I think mine is pretty nice. It's certainly a well loved stock bike. Truth is, after I'm gone, who will there be to keep it going? So, what difference does it make?
:shrug:

So I will make sure I get a US heap, I thought US imports were far less desirable than a UK standard bike which is why I was going to go down that route.

So much of this group is about chopping up XS650's I wasn't aware I would cause offense by suggesting I might lightly modify one but as you say on the plus side I may have a few bits up for sale if they are even worth it as they wil likely be coming off a tatty example.

So much of this group is about chopping up XS650's I wasn't aware I would cause offense by suggesting I might lightly modify one
Do your thing Dom! Who cares what the crowd thinks?

1660929874109.png

I get endless crap about my handlebars. Do you think I care? Keep it coming. I like the attention.

No! You may not buy my bike and modify it!

Do your thing Dom! Who cares what the crowd thinks?

View attachment 222355
I get endless crap about my handlebars. Do you think I care? Keep it coming. I like the attention.

No! You may not buy my bike and modify it!
To be honest as modifications go I think it will be as simple as wider lower handle bars, care racer style seat and rear end tidy up, smaller front mudguard and slight lowering of the suspension. So mild.

Who are we to have the right to tell someone what to do with their bike................If you don't like it stop posting or helping.

Stating a Special is a preferred bike to hack instead of a Standard brecause a standard is considdered a better bike does a disservice to guys who have and love there specials and think/know they are a better bike.

Back