Uk or import

Congrats. A bit of work to do but then you know that. About the same as you would get it for over here, $5000.00Aus.

You will need this thread. https://www.xs650.com/threads/gauge...0-83-gauge-repair-honda-70-71-750-4-ko.52013/ for the speedo gauge face.

Bit of an oddity. I have never seen a 74/75 with out the hi-beam light in the rev-counter, ( and your has the neutral light in the middle instead off to one side), nor one without a brake warning light written/indicated on the dash. Rev-counter red lines at 7.5 as do all XS650's.

74 speedo on a 75, they had the trip meter on the bottom.
1k 75B .jpg

75 Speedo on a 75, trip meter is on top.
1h 75B.JPG

It does sound very quiet engine wise, I recorded it but the dash and brake lever rattled making it sound rough. The clip is too large to upload I think.

Yeah my clocks are a bit scruffy, definitely plenty to keep me occupied

Attachments

• 20220917_190217.jpg
    20220917_190217.jpg
    283.2 KB · Views: 58
I found it. Red-lines at 8.5 so there is that otherwise the gauge and gauge bracket and dash lights are the same. Your speedo is off an XS650. These gauge setups were on a few different Yamies from that year. XS500, RD's 250/350. The cast bracket holding the gauges cracks and breaks. so they get swapped around

RD 250-350.jpg

Congrats. A bit of work to do but then you know that. About the same as you would get it for over here, $5000.00Aus.

You will need this thread. https://www.xs650.com/threads/gauge...0-83-gauge-repair-honda-70-71-750-4-ko.52013/ for the speedo gauge face.

Bit of an oddity. I have never seen a 74/75 with out the hi-beam light in the rev-counter, ( and your has the neutral light in the middle instead off to one side), nor one without a brake warning light written/indicated on the dash. Rev-counter red lines at 7.5 as do all XS650's.

74 speedo on a 75, they had the trip meter on the bottom.
View attachment 225505

75 Speedo on a 75, trip meter is on top.
View attachment 225506
Thanks for that.
I thought the '74 and '75 clocks were the same.
Turns out I've got a '75 set.
Tacho with 8,500 will be RD250 or 350
TX500 red line is 9,000

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220917-230946.jpg
    Screenshot_20220917-230946.jpg
    265 KB · Views: 58
So do you think my rev counter has been changed over at some point? Quite possible none of it is actually from this bike I suppose

I'm still on a learning curve with this.
Apparently the alloy mount bracket on the RD250/350 is sligjtly smaller, but the actual instrument bodies are basically the same - with the tacho it's just the red line that alters.
So it looks like you've got the correct mount, but the wrong tacho.
I suspect that someone will be along shortly who knows more about them.

Look at the 2 pics in post 101. Between the gauges they have a Brake Lining light. This is something Yamaha introduced to the XS in 74 up till part way through 77 when they removed it. It is a sensor going to the rear brake pads to warn the owner when the pads have worn down.

This Brake warning light is not on your gauge cluster meaning the whole cluster has been swapped in but the XS650 speedo has been reused/swapped into the new cluster.

It doesn't matter in the running of the bike. its only if you wanted it to be period correct.....................There will be some wires that would have gone to the brake lining light loose in the bucket, or tied off...............wouldn't hurt to check and make sure they cant short out

You've made a good score there, great that the engine is quiet. Don't worry about originality - unless that's your thing - just get some low bars, give the bike a service, make sure all the essential bits work and take it from there. Just my tuppence worth.

Yes there is a sensor cable coming from the rear drum so that all makes sense. The speedo face has crackled in the sun so I'll be following that guide to get into it, I've found someone on ebay wh makes replica faces. I'm not particularly a fan of the 75 dash, quite possibly the ugliest of all. Thanks for all the help so far!

Do you know the specs of the two small gauge screws in the middle of the face? Mine have been eaten by a ham-fisted PO

I'm curious about my gauges, the centre console between them has a high beam indicator where most have a brake lining indicator yet I have a brake lining sensor and cable coming from the rear drum.

Yes I read that but misunderstood you. So is it likely the centre console is from another bike and the rev counter? I suppose the whole lot could be and the mileage inaccurate as I have no history.

I wouldn't worry too much about the clocks.
They don't tend to fetch fantastic prices here in the UK.
Maybe the cast mount bracket might be a problem, but a cracked one could maybe be TIG welded.
As for the possibility that the milage isn't genuine, well I suppose that applies to any 50 yr old vehicle, unless you can find something that's only had one owner from new.
BTW, you can buy a replica face for the idiot light panel

Last edited:
I'm loving everything about this bike, its smells great and most of it blemishes I consider character. It does have a bit of a rusty frame but I'm not sure it warrants a strip down and repaint just yet, liberal coatings of ACF50 will do for now.

Just found this on Yambits site.
They reckon they've specially comissioned them, but to me the oil light suggests they are NOS TX500 parts.
Screenshot_20220922-223115.jpg

Yeah I saw them on Yambits, I'm not sure I'll ever find a replacement one for my brushed bronze with the highbeam indicator

Back