Unknowns When Riding Known Roads

Seeing those cows out in the middle of the road reminded me of the morning I decided to take a short ride around the block on old RD400 early in the morning before we left for a trip by car. Ride around the block out here in the country would be about a five mile loop, narrow two lane road.

There is one section kind of like a roller coaster ride. Crest one short hill and it drops back down and then another, just enough to obscure anything for the next. I was running along probably pushing 70 mph. Over first hill and down into the small valley and up the next rise. Just as I got to the top of the second one I see three or four, did not have time for accurate inventory could have been even more, white tail deer taking their time crossing the road! All I remember thinking is "Don't anyone do anything stupid!" That included me! Went through the middle of them without making contact so all was good!

Yesterday I was riding to a meet. Stopped at a light behind a very clean, late model convertible. The A$$ in the car thought it would be fun to to turn his wipers and washers on to spray me behind his car. I was stopped a good 4ft behind his car. Ignored him and his childish antics to deprive him of the satisfaction of getting a reaction out of me.

One time I was riding without brakes and a guy stopped and ran into me. I chased him at a hundred miles an hour and beat him up, but the judge let me off easy 'cause he could relate :lmao:

LOL! Riding without glasses is like riding without brakes. Whatever happens as a result is your fault. There's no blaming it on someone

One time I was riding without brakes and a guy stopped and ran into me. I chased him at a hundred miles an hour and beat him up, but the judge let me off easy 'cause he could relate :lmao:
you really are a silly man , think you only come on here to get a reaction , that bloke emptying salt out the window without looking could have killed me or someone else if i had vered into on coming traffic , also how do we know it wasnt on purpose , as for no glasses just because you wear them , 55 yrs of riding and except for rain and odd bug in a eye never any trouble , definitly salt was a first time ever , anyway sorry but theres your reaction and so goodby iv have better things to do with my life , like go riding (do you even remember what going riding is like)

Maybe I am overly cautious, but I won't even take a loop in our driveway without helmet, face shield and boots. In other words, I've never been naked on a bike! :bed:
'TT'
All the gear all the time is commendable and helps minimize the effects of "ah, shit" or in my case the occasional "you dumb son of a bitch" when it's of my own making.

All the gear all the time is commendable and helps minimize the effects of "ah, shit" or in my case the occasional "you dumb son of a bitch" when it's of my own making.
We all seem to have that moment of impulsiveness when enthusiastic about something such as riding. This habit helps me to reign in the 'jump on and go for a quick spin just because' and use more common sense, like looking twice. Impulsiveness and forgetfulness can couple into calamity. Remember the song lyric, "Don't think twice, it's alright!"? Not for me.
'TT'

Love some pictures. This first one is the top of one of my driveway entrances.
The next one is down below, and that turn to the right can be hazardous.
The third is from our connector road which is luckily a dead-end street.
You can see that entrance on the left leading up. Still, I take no chances.
'TT'

Attachments

• Link Here 11.JPG
    Link Here 11.JPG
    519.7 KB · Views: 84
  • Link Here 6.JPG
    Link Here 6.JPG
    729.5 KB · Views: 86
  • Link Here 7.JPG
    Link Here 7.JPG
    582.8 KB · Views: 86
I don't have any great wildlife encounters bar one or two small ones.
I was travelling through a wooded area, about to overtake a box van when a wood pigeon flew out of the woods and rammed itself into the wheel arch of the van just as I was moving out. It was like a chicken being thrown into a supersonic tumble drier. A huge cloud of feathers and guts covered the front of the bike.
On another trip, shortly after, I clobbered a pheasant, which I took back to work but nobody was keen on having it.
One of the deadliest close encounters was when I was sitting in the outside lane of the motorway at about a steady 80-ish, when I noticed that in the middle lane there was a truck carrying a Portakabin. The guttering of the Portakabin was flapping in the breeze and just as I got within range, it seperated from its parent and speared straight at me. I instinctively ducked, which was just as well, as it missed me by a few inches. That would have put a crimp on my day, for sure.
Worst one of the lot was when I was doing normal courier motorway traffic dodging when the small van in front of me wibbled a bit. I backed off, and I could see the driver ducking down, fishing for something on the floor - either his phone or fags, who knows what. The dork let the van drift to the edge of the tarmac, the wheel dropped into the gap, he wrenched the steering too much and the van went straight across the two inner lanes, up an embankment, rolled over about twice, doors flying open and everything falling out of it.
Feckin' donut.

Back