Up-gearing from Stock 34 (rear) to 32 - NICE !!!

Hi Byookanum,
so will you look like shit when the EMTs drag you out from under whatever hit you when you couldn't stop.
And yes I have. 1924 Triumph single. Scared myself shitless. Mind you, the 6" rear brake didn't work too well neither.

Bro.. You're in another fucking country. You obviously have no clue to lifestyle of my style of bike.

All of the boat brakes I've found were rear brakes.
http://www.seaanchor.com/boatbrakes.htm

Maybe you could apply one to your ride for that drag race look...
12_0930_potw_ian_king.jpg

I don't ride a drag bike. I ride an old school chop.

Actually while it may be a tip of the hat in that direction your bike is very new school. I would also say its more inline with a bobber style lacking the signature stretched front end.

Nothing against it. Its a very nice looking bike, so don't think I'm detracting.

Actually while it may be a tip of the hat in that direction your bike is very new school. I would also say its more inline with a bobber style lacking the signature stretched front end.

Nothing against it. Its a very nice looking bike, so don't think I'm detracting.

New school? Yeah bro... You don't have a clue.

Sure man...
1011_hbkp_01_z%2B1956_harley_davidson_xlch_custom%2Bcover_spread.jpg

Mine. 1959 engine, but the style is solidly 70s. I would consider that classic, and not old school.

Really early choppers often carried a smaller front tire for example... and generally classic looking 1960s era...
YB-Tri-chopper.jpg

Getting into the 50s you're looking at postwar bobbers still.

Sure man...
1011_hbkp_01_z%2B1956_harley_davidson_xlch_custom%2Bcover_spread.jpg

Mine. 1959 engine, but the style is solidly 70s. I would consider that classic, and not old school.

Really early choppers often carried a smaller front tire for example... and generally classic looking 1960s era...
YB-Tri-chopper.jpg

Getting into the 50s you're looking at postwar bobbers still.

Are you going to be able to sleep tonight with all that stress about no front brakes and not knowing about old school USA style short chops, Frisco style, cali style... Shit even NY style.

I am now running 17/30 with od 5th gear
i have run 17/38, 17/34, 18/34, 18/30.
The 17/38 was the most fun, around town only
The 18/30 was good for long runs but what a tall first gear
The 18/34 was good for both around town and long runs.
With the od 5th gear I like the 17/30 the best
When I shot this video I was still breaking the engine in that's why no steady speed.
this is 17/30

Here is an Excel spreadsheet that will yield RPM vs MPH for all combinations of sprockets, gears and wheels. Just use the pull downs to select your values.

RPM vs MPH

Hey Carbon......it would be interesting to know the rpm at say, 55mph, stock 17/34 gears and the 5th overdrive...16 and 18 inch rear rims just for info's sake.
I find the 17/32 very useable, 16 or 18inch rear.

Thanks for the spreadsheet Pete!
Although I'm better at making fire by friction then navigating that treasure map......

Maybe this would be easier than a spreadsheet for you?
http://www.gearingcommander.com/

Really is a handy website. according to it with my change in rear tire size from stock and the 17/31 combo I'll be running, rpms at 70MPH will be at 4092. If i changed to a 18/32 combo like many find popular i would be at 3989rps at the same speed. So the difference in gearing only equates to about a hundred rpms at highway speeds. But compared to a stock rear tire and a 17/34 combo i'm about 650rpms less and that will make a noticeable difference.

Last edited:
Gearing choices and whether you like them, are greatly affected by state of tune. If we are discussing bikes with stock tuning, the later XS650s, (the "Specials" with 34VM carburetors) really can handle the tall gearing better. The smaller carbs, revised cams and longer skinnier exhaust headers give a torque boost in the low RPMs.

Back