UPDATE: my Phase 3 COVID19 vaccine trial experience

RE the J&J vaccine: Dr. Jha was just on the ABC Evening News. Said it's 66% eff. in preventing covid. 85% eff. in preventing severe cases, and %100 eff. in preventing hospitalization and death. I'll take those odds.

If those results hold I would not hesitate to take it!

I mean if they guarantee I'm not going to die that would give me the time to finish most of my projects. OH! wait do you mean it only prevents dying from Covid???? Not dying in general?

Sounds like the J and J vaccine works. Will they ever tell you if you got the vaccine or the placebo?
It's a two-year trial. They don't tell you what you got until the trial ends.
If a trial seems to be successful before it ends, so everyone in the study is clamoring to make sure they got the actual medication, they can do a thing where they give everyone the opposite shot of what they got the first time. That way, everyone in the study has received the actual medication, the only difference is when they got it. Everyone is still double-blinded, and they can continue on with their study. Seems a little weird, but I guess it makes some sense. I have no idea if they will do this in this case.
I can opt-out of the study at any time. But while I'm in it, I'm not allowed to get any of the various vaccines that are or will be out there.

RE the J&J vaccine: Dr. Jha was just on the ABC Evening News. Said it's 66% eff. in preventing covid. 85% eff. in preventing severe cases, and %100 eff. in preventing hospitalization and death. I'll take those odds.
The J&J results are pretty good, they just don't look so good when compared to the 95% success rate of the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines. The J&J 66% figure is better than many years flu vaccine. If there was nothing else out there, people would be jumping all over the J&J vaccine.
Interestingly, J&J stock fell on the news of their results. Again, I think investors viewed it as a failure compared to the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines. I think that J&J stands to make a lot of money on this, and I've put in an order to buy J&J stock this weekend.

I got a Pfizer vaccination Tuesday, Feb. 3rd. Sore arm where jabbed. Both looking forward and dreading the second shot in three weeks.

Interesting, I drove 75 miles outside of town into the rural area of Ohio to find an available spot. They had plenty of openings.

Tt

I wonder how you get vaccinated if you're poor and have no car. I'm thinking Appalachia, Mississippi delta, etc. My wife drove 90 minutes to get hers.

That's one of the problem with letting each state run their own programs. Another problem is each state seems to be setting who can get a shot going by age, work, or some other qualifier.

Here in NY one of the pharmacy chains has a web site up where you can "make an appointment" the thing is I tried earlier today and none of the branches in my area show any appointments available right through the end of the year. They don't come out and say it but I think they are waiting until they have a confirmed delivery date and quantity before they will actually make an appointment.

They did have a place where you could be given an email notice of when a shot is available so for kicks I entered my info there. Main qualifying point right now here is age, 65+ so I pass that one by just short of six years! Wife however is too young!

The difference in letting the States run their own criteria is frustrating. My wife got her shot because she is a cancer survivor and has had chemo. I however fall into the 16-64 group. How stupid is that?

Similar issue here. My wife has qualified. I haven’t.
Since you had the virus Marty, you should have immunity? Is the CDC recommending the vaccine for those already infected and recovered?

Since you had the virus Marty, you should have immunity? Is the CDC recommending the vaccine for those already infected and recovered?
A recent study found the reinfection rate 2 in 10,000 over 35 weeks. That being the case, I’m in good shape. If I’m offered the vaccine, I’ll get it. I’m not yet aware of the CDC recommendation on that.

A recent study found the reinfection rate 2 in 10,000 over 35 weeks. That being the case, I’m in good shape. If I’m offered the vaccine, I’ll get it. I’m not yet aware of the CDC recommendation on that.
Found it. CDC link.

Untitled.png

My youngest brother missed the boat on that
While he was recovering in a nursing home they offered him the shot but at the time nobody really knew if he needed to since he already recovered from the virus
There still isn't much out there in real studies. But, they're starting to come in. As that happens there will be less winging it, and more real science. We're all doing our best for now.

I'm not at all interested in getting vaccinated yet. Neither are the majority of my coworkers. My own father is very much in favor of vaccinating, and is through the first shot. My gal, not at all. Her family, No.
This is yet more controversy that doesn't need to be pushed upon individuals choices.

I'm not at all interested in getting vaccinated yet. Neither are the majority of my coworkers. My own father is very much in favor of vaccinating, and is through the first shot. My gal, not at all. Her family, No.
This is yet more controversy that doesn't need to be pushed upon individuals choices.
I see it this way. Has anybody died from getting the vaccine? How about from getting the virus?

I went into this thinking I was tough as nails. This bug will exploit any weakness, and it showed me.

I see it this way. Has anybody died from getting the vaccine? How about from getting the virus?

I went into this thinking I was tough as nails. This bug will exploit any weakness, and it showed me.
I'm 64 and when they call and say come on down I'll go

Back