UPDATE: my Phase 3 COVID19 vaccine trial experience

This is yet more controversy that doesn't need to be pushed upon individuals choices.
I'll be honest here... this drives me crazy. When did "for the good of us all" become controversial? Yeah, you have a choice... a choice join in and get this bug under control... or to believe your individual choice trumps the health of the nation (or world for that matter). I'm glad your dad chooses to get the vaccine before it gets him. Tell him I'm proud of him. My Dad is on oxygen right now and his lungs are filling up. The nurse tells me the prognosis isn't good. I let Bob know about my Dad last week and told him I wasn't going to share that here, but I don't know what else to do. Marty almost died from it... my friend across the street did die from it... and it's looking like my Dad will too. What's it gonna take to get through to you first amendment zealots that the good of the nation is more important than your choice?
I guess maybe true patriotism is dead.

I tuned into a couple comedians that put a podcast at least once a week. A few weeks ago, it was a lot more tears than laughter. One of them lost his grandfather and his father over the holidays. I thought it brave to put on a podcast. I found it difficult to watch. Jim, I'm sorry to learn what you're suffering. It's awful what people are having to go through.

What's it gonna take to get through to you first amendment zealots that the good of the nation is more important than your choice?

My thoughts at times lead me to think we might need to revert to a form like they did for Lepers back years ago. Just set a part maybe one state for all the anti-vaxers and move them all there and build "The Wall" around them. That way they can have all their "freedoms" they can stand.

Now I have no problem with the few people who for some medical reason may not be able to have a vaccine, but I imagine that might be a very small number of people.

The vaccine is (will soon be at least in wealthy countries) available to everyone that wants it and will be required for access to many facets of "normal" life.
That's not enough?
How does "someone" not getting THIS vac impact anyone who wants to be protected, discuss your answer.

Well if those not getting the Vaccine when available do then come down with Covid they well be causing my insurance to go up or stay high when the company has to pay at least some of their hospitalization.

Riding motorcycles causes government spending on non insured health care to go up, same for any activity beyond sitting on the couch, which will also kill you.
Next argument?
You know this is not the measles, polio etc. It's not "going away". That train left when China F'd up.
To be clear here, I will get vaccinated.

I'll be honest here... this drives me crazy. When did "for the good of us all" become controversial? Yeah, you have a choice... a choice join in and get this bug under control... or to believe your individual choice trumps the health of the nation (or world for that matter). I'm glad your dad chooses to get the vaccine before it gets him. Tell him I'm proud of him. My Dad is on oxygen right now and his lungs are filling up. The nurse tells me the prognosis isn't good. I let Bob know about my Dad last week and told him I wasn't going to share that here, but I don't know what else to do. Marty almost died from it... my friend across the street did die from it... and it's looking like my Dad will too. What's it gonna take to get through to you first amendment zealots that the good of the nation is more important than your choice?
I came across this while reading a local TV stations daily news LOG3Mask
The price is a little spendy but if the protection is that much better than I'm going to spring for the extra cost (compared to a regular surgical mask) They won't ship till mid Feb because of demand but it will be a better mask until I'm called up

How does "someone" not getting THIS vac impact anyone who wants to be protected, discuss your answer.

By unnecessarily contributing to the spread of a highly infectious disease that has killed ( as of this morning ) 459,000 people in America and left untold tens of thousands severely disabled. And caused many millions more ( like me ) , to spend the last year of their life sheltering in their home , avoiding family and friends and all the activities they used to love. The only way this siege ends is with the cooperation of our population and a willingness to commit to a small sacrifice for the common good. Wouldn’t you do that to help protect your parents, or your kids? It’s such a small thing, why does this have to be so hard?

You know this is not the measles, polio etc. It's not "going away". That train left when China F'd up.
Measles was considered "eradicated" in the US. That was done by achieving 95% herd immunity. Of course, it's back here... due in no small part the the growing anti-vaxxer movement.
You're right, just like the flu, it's here to stay. Estimates vary from 70 to 90% immunity just to stop the spread... so 7-9 out of 10 people. Are we there yet... Can we get to 9 of 10? I'm doubtful. Hell, we can't even get 9 of 10 to wear a mask when it ain't mandated. The whole "I have a right not to" thing.
Question for you.... does personal freedom outweigh the good of the country?

I came across this while reading a local TV stations daily news LOG3Mask
The price is a little spendy but if the protection is that much better than I'm going to spring for the extra cost (compared to a regular surgical mask) They won't ship till mid Feb because of demand but it will be a better mask until I'm called up
Just ordered 2 for $40
Shipping is free until after pandemic is over (that was nice of them)
State of MN says "wait a minute there Mike we need $4.03 in taxes" (not so nice :wtf:)

Just ordered 2 for $40
Shipping is free until after pandemic is over (that was nice of them)
State of MN says "wait a minute there Mike we need $4.03 in taxes" (not so nice :wtf:)
I have a mask on the passenger seat of my car ready to go and yes since I'm now a mature person (not old:rolleyes:)
I sometimes have to go back to the car and get it when I forget
But I figure what the hell since I'm retired I needed the exercise anyway it's just not that inconvenient for me

Measles was considered "eradicated" in the US. That was done by achieving 95% herd immunity. Of course, it's back here... due in no small part the the growing anti-vaxxer movement.
You're right, just like the flu, it's here to stay. Estimates vary from 70 to 90% immunity just to stop the spread... so 7-9 out of 10 people. Are we there yet... Can we get to 9 of 10? I'm doubtful. Hell, we can't even get 9 of 10 to wear a mask when it ain't mandated. The whole "I have a right not to" thing.
Question for you.... does personal freedom outweigh the good of the country?
When does the good of the country outweigh personal freedom?
Question for you, where's the line?
Shingles, pneumonia HPV you been vaccinated for all of those?
Yellow fever?
Cautions related to this have dramatically cut the flu this year Masks and social distancing forever, no more school, football games, concerts? Hand shakes?
Fauci says no more hand shakes ever.

The science isn't even settled that vaccination will stop you from spreading the disease. And it's likely it won't do it 100%
That's all the more reason to get the vaccine. If A is vaccinated and still spreading, and B is vaccinated... the spread stops. If B is not vaccinated... it continues.
That doesn't talk to the elephant though.... why are "my" rights more important than the health of the nation?

I get vaccinated for everything without any question. I used to travel full time. I didn't fully trust my employer, so I did my own research and made sure I got covered for whatever I could wherever I went. No question. I'm sick to death of masks and social distancing like everyone else. I want to be social again and this is the only way to get there.

I'm going to go work on my bike.

Cuz your rights, ARE this nation? Again where's the line?
Guess we just have a different mindset. GI's give up a lot of rights to serve the nation. The only line I ever saw was the one I signed on. Guess that puts us at loggerheads. Think I'll do as Marty and go work on something. Cheers. :D

Last thing before I go. This virus has one unique feature.... asymptomatic spread. The ability to cast itself about with the "caster" not even realizing he's spreading or even infected for that matter . Without mass vaccinations, how do we address that... Walking bombs.... that don't know they're bombs... and could care less that they are bombs.... and refuse the shot to "not" be bombs. Doesn't bode well for "back to a somewhat normal life"...no?

Back