Vacuum Petcock

imcgyver

XS650 Member
Reaction score
Hello I have a 1981 Yamaha XS650 II, I have been getting it ready for this year, I got my NGK LZEH plug caps for the BPR7ES plugs had to order from overseas, now for my next issue I noticed my vacuum petcock leaking at the tank so I removed it and noticed the standoff was sitting in the bottom of the tank, I want to use the petcock because there was nothing else wrong with it, How can I repair the standoff so it will not come off again and how to determine which direction for reserve and normal?
Thank you for your time and response Ron

jetmechmarty

Project collector
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I like the fix from @gggGary. He used a shim made from an aluminum can and wedged it in there. I does the trick. The best part is if it get damaged, I can remove and replace it. After epoxy, removal isn't likely to ever happen.

bosco659

XS650 Guru
Top Contributor
XS650.com Supporter
Reaction score
I like the fix from @gggGary. He used a shim made from an aluminum can and wedged it in there. I does the trick. The best part is if it get damaged, I can remove and replace it. After epoxy, removal isn't likely to ever happen.
I used @gggGary ’s pop can hack to secure the screen in place on my ‘79 and it worked great. I’m sure epoxy would also work well, but at the time I didn’t have any and there were lots of empty cans kicking around.