Mikeys new to him 81

Before throwing sparks all over the place, I'd inspect all the connections, make sure they're clean and tight. When I got my '78, the starter didn't work at all, no click, no nothing. It turned out to be a very dirty and rusty cable connection down on the starter motor itself. That connection hangs under the bike so is subjected to lots of water and dirt kicked up off the road. It has a rubber protection boot but mine was split. I cleaned it all up really good, installed a new rubber boot, and it's worked fine ever since (nearly 20 years now).

Yes, I removed the cable then wire wheeled it's end and the stud on the starter motor clean and shiny. Copper based anti-seize on the stud threads then a coating over the whole outside to ward off future corrosion. I've taken to using this copper anti-seize on all my bolt together electrical connections. Besides the corrosion protection, I figure the copper will help make a good electrical connection. My anti-seize of choice is C5-A .....

C5-A.jpg

I transfer it from the big can to small containers and make application brushes from acid flux brushes, complete with storage containers for them as well .....

C5-ABrush.jpg

C5-ABrush-3.jpg

Not to be contrary... well maybe a little... but if I get "click click" and no "spin spin", the first thing I'll do is jump across the solenoid. It's the quickest, easiest way I know to isolate.

Sparks and starter spins= bad solenoid
Sparks/no sparks and no spin= bad starter
Little pissy ass sparks and no spin= bad connection

While y'all are lookin' for bad connections, I'm on the inter-webs ordering a new solenoid, starter... cable ends... :boxing:

Last edited:
:agree:
A prime trouble shooting technique! when ever possible pick a point to check that divides the problem in half. Test done, now I know the trouble is in this half or that half of the circuit.
Mikey you gave a good description; the (solenoid) clicking pretty much eliminates an issue with the small red power feed or anything on the blue white circuit.

Last edited:
Well It's got one hell of a spark when crossing the 2 together so looks like starter
I didn't have the key in the ignition but I take it that shouldn't matter

Put the bike in gear, maybe 3rd rock it back and forth on the floor a few times, rotating the gear train, engine, try starter again.

Thats one of the things I will take a look at
A little easier than yanking the starter off
Thanks !!

Back