Mikeys new to him 81

I've never loctited a Helicoil in place and never had one come out. Is this common practice?

Did you ever get the DMV problem figured out. The engine number should not be a problem in Minnesota. At least it was never for me. They never even put the engine number on the title. However on one bike the DMV used the engine number as the VIN number which caused me a little aggravation when I went to title in Idaho.

The guy I bought it from put down he purchase year as 2002 not 2022 so I had to send him a paper to sign so I can file an amended title
They still want that engine/ frame # and for good luck I also took a photo of the sticker on the neck of the bike which has both the VIN number and the same number as the engine / frame does
They automatically want that engine # and I don't know why that number doesn't get printed on the title so when I sell it, the new owner doesn't have to go through the same as I did
when I get the title will write the engine # on it again

I've never loctited a Helicoil in place and never had one come out. Is this common practice?
Most places I worked had us loctite 'em in. But I worked in the airplane world mostly. Can't say beyond that.

I used this one for the infamous bottom right stud Gary mentions. Works just fine.
It doesn't have a "true" bottoming tap, but it's pretty damn close. Close enough for the studs we're talkin' about anyway.

View attachment 231027
Yep, that's exactly the set I got, along with an 8mm and a 10 for luck.
Dirt cheap compared to pukka Helicoils but work just fine.

No actually I just dropped it off there to have him take a look at the missing studs
I didn't want to start anything stupid without his opinion He lives out in the country a bit and rather him come to the bike I brought the bike to him and then picked it up a few days later when we met for lunch
My wife really doesn't mind my putzing around with bikes etc.
I'll say something like what do you think about me getting another bike or old phonograph etc.
And she'll usually reply you might as well cause your going to do it anyway
She's funny that way :shrug:

There's worse things a guy could do
And back in the day I did do a lot of stupid shit but never got caught
Lucky me :pimp:

And for the hell of it my buddy gave me this to remind me of my mechanical and electrical limitations
Good old asshole buddy's
IMG_20221121_190005213.jpg
are the best

Ok I'm stayin up way past my pre retirement bedtime now
Looking at the parts diagram I see 3 different studs showing on the parts diagram
Who's got a better set of eyes than me which studs are on the right side (intake and exhaust)
Those would be the ones I need ( Part #33 ? )

Attachments

• IMG_20221201_112410918.jpg
    IMG_20221201_112410918.jpg
    362.6 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_20221201_112416543.jpg
    IMG_20221201_112416543.jpg
    263 KB · Views: 48
  • stud diagram.png
    stud diagram.png
    25.1 KB · Views: 46
Partzilla is strange I did a Google search and they list the part for $2.35 per +$6.95 shipping (on Ebay) and I would think they would do combined shipping
On their website the part is $2.22 per and $8.95 shipping
I'm waiting on their Ebay site to see if they will do combined shipping
On the diagram for the 81 they have it as part # 33 same OEM number as the #16 on the diagram you posted
I guess it's to late to start beer drinking might as well call it a night
Thanks !!

Even though I don't have one, I often consult the '77 diagrams. They just seem nicer and more complete. But with old bikes like these, it's nice to have several reference points, so if you don't already have them, you might want to download the various parts books from the XSCafe web site. Don't know if this will work but I'll try ..... the '76 parts book .....

Attachments

• 76xs650c-parts.pdf
    3.9 MB · Views: 148
Back